Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder View Options - Globally Persistent?

How do you force Finder to always keep the same view settings for all folders, sub folders, etc?

It seems finder lets you do this for specific folders...I don't want to select every folder and do this for each. I want one global finder configuration to be used always, all the time, all folders.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you

Posted on May 21, 2020 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 9:57 AM

Open any folder. Press Command+J. Change the point size, column views you want showing, icon size, List view or other, etc. The important part - now click the Use as Defaults button on the bottom.

Any new folder you create after this will have those settings.

3 replies

May 21, 2020 1:36 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks for your reply, I will try it.

ive set the use as default many times but new finder windows don’t seem to inherent the settings. It’s as if it only lasts while that specific finder window is open.

i always use “dated added” and every tine I go to the sane folders I’ve been to before I have add “date added”, sort, slide the “date added” column to the left so I can see it. Annoying.

May 21, 2020 1:45 PM in response to tjx

The desktop is the oddball here. It never opens exactly the way you put the settings. Such as, I never have and need or desire to see the left column of locations. All I want to see is a simple folder in list view. Anywhere else I create a new folder, it does exactly what I have set, but not the desktop.

That is also a small problem. It doesn't matter how big you make the folder when you choose Defaults. A new folder will always open at a predetermined, fixed size. But it will remember what you set it to afterwards.

Finder View Options - Globally Persistent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.