Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music recognises songs on imported CD but not album name or artwork

Hi - I'm running the latest version of Catalina on a MacBook 2017 model and using an Apple external CD drive to import some CDs into Apple Music app (what we used to call iTunes). The system took a couple of minutes to recognise the first CD, but has only recognised (correctly) all the track names. Bizarrely, it doesn't know the name of the album and has not found artwork.

How is this possible, that it knows the names of individual songs but not the album and the artist ? How can I get the remaining info into the Info fields with the least manual effort ?

Thanks in advance for your reply

MacBook

Posted on May 22, 2020 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 10:04 AM

Right-click, Get Info, Details tab, and edit in the info you want. For album level info, you can highlight the tracks and do all the tracks at once.

This can work either on the CD tracks before you import, or on the tracks in the library after the import.

Similar questions

4 replies

May 23, 2020 1:24 AM in response to ed2345

Thanks for your reply and helpful suggestion - but I already knew that and have had to do it for many CDs I've imported over the years. However, it doesn't answer my question: how come Apple automatically knew the names of the individual tracks on the album, but didn't know the album name and artist ? It's a bit like me knowing the name of my house, but not knowing which street or country it's in !

May 23, 2020 8:12 AM in response to Doctor Zhivago

Dr. Z,

The CD identification is done through a 3rd party database called Gracenote. Gracenote has a combination of "official" data plus user submitted data. As you probably know, any iTunes/Music user can submit data by using the Submit CD Track data command, so perhaps not surprising that inaccurate and incomplete data can slip in. For more information about how Gracenote, and therefore iTunes/Music, does its thing, see here:

https://www.gracenote.com/music/music-recognition/

Apple Music recognises songs on imported CD but not album name or artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.