Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t open a new tab in Safari

Like the it says, I can’t open a new tab in safari on my brand new iPad Pro. I tap and hold but no option on the tab to open in new tab. How do I fix?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 22, 2020 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 9:41 PM

Okay, one of the dumbest moves Apple has done this year. Why change it from "New Tab" which is very clear because that’s EXACTLY what you’re doing to "Open in Background" which means absolutely nothing to me or the millions of other non-technical people? How in heck do I explain that to my older mother? One of the bonuses of iPhone and iPad was that the older generation could quickly learn and use it. Now every update you push it further and further to the under 25 generation. I can’t even get my mom or her friends to update their ancient iPhones because you insist on catering to the lowest and brokest denomination.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2020 9:41 PM in response to QuickPost

Okay, one of the dumbest moves Apple has done this year. Why change it from "New Tab" which is very clear because that’s EXACTLY what you’re doing to "Open in Background" which means absolutely nothing to me or the millions of other non-technical people? How in heck do I explain that to my older mother? One of the bonuses of iPhone and iPad was that the older generation could quickly learn and use it. Now every update you push it further and further to the under 25 generation. I can’t even get my mom or her friends to update their ancient iPhones because you insist on catering to the lowest and brokest denomination.

May 22, 2020 11:24 AM in response to appleisbecomingPC

Hello,

Are you trying to open a new tab or open a link in a new tab? If you were to tap the + button Safari would open a new tab. If you were to long-press a link > Open in background then it would open it in a new tab. If you have a mouse and keyboard attached to your iPad then you could press ⌘ (Command) + click a link to open the link in a new tab.

Can’t open a new tab in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.