Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina installer doesn't open

I've tried downloading Catalina from the App Store app twice today and no installer opens. Nothing in my downloads. Help?

MacBook Air 13", 10.12

Posted on May 22, 2020 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 10:11 AM

More space is needed by Catalina because it is about 2GBs larger than El Capitan through Mojave. RAM requirements have not changed. That's still 4GBs. macOS requires an amount of storage space equal to the amount of RAM installed. This is needed to hold the RAM's contents during sleep to save power usage. If you have 8GBs of RAM installed, then that requirement increases from 4GBs to 8GBs.

Installation needs are essentially based on how large the installation disk image is. Catalina's is roughly 8GBs. So, you need 8GBs for the disk image; 8GBs is needed for newly installed system; and 8GBs is needed for the old system before it is deleted. This added space is needed during installation in case there is a problem. Then the installer can remove the new files and put back the old files. When the installation is completed only the newly installed system is left using up storage space. The other 16GBs of storage space is returned to the disk as available space. Therefore, to do an installation the total storage needs will be roughly three times the size of the downloaded disk image. If you don't save a copy of the installer, then it is deleted automatically at the end of a successful installation.

It may be a challenge to free up the needed space but you should not let free space get so low. If you keep adding new files to the disk until it is full, then bad things will happen. The main bad thing is the loss of everything, unless you have current backups. My personal recommendation is that 20-30GBs is the minimum amount of free space you should always maintain. If you haven't enough space now, then you need an external storage drive on which you can store most of your files in order to maintain at least the minimum free space. This may help:

How to Free Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.
  2. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.
  3. Also, see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.
  4. What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?
  5. Files That Make Up the 'Other' Storage Category, and How to Remove Them
  6. Free up storage space on your Mac.
  7. See Where did my Disk Space go?.
  8. Be sure to Empty the Trash to recover the space.
  9. Replace the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.
  10. Use OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 10:11 AM in response to Susan Stuart

More space is needed by Catalina because it is about 2GBs larger than El Capitan through Mojave. RAM requirements have not changed. That's still 4GBs. macOS requires an amount of storage space equal to the amount of RAM installed. This is needed to hold the RAM's contents during sleep to save power usage. If you have 8GBs of RAM installed, then that requirement increases from 4GBs to 8GBs.

Installation needs are essentially based on how large the installation disk image is. Catalina's is roughly 8GBs. So, you need 8GBs for the disk image; 8GBs is needed for newly installed system; and 8GBs is needed for the old system before it is deleted. This added space is needed during installation in case there is a problem. Then the installer can remove the new files and put back the old files. When the installation is completed only the newly installed system is left using up storage space. The other 16GBs of storage space is returned to the disk as available space. Therefore, to do an installation the total storage needs will be roughly three times the size of the downloaded disk image. If you don't save a copy of the installer, then it is deleted automatically at the end of a successful installation.

It may be a challenge to free up the needed space but you should not let free space get so low. If you keep adding new files to the disk until it is full, then bad things will happen. The main bad thing is the loss of everything, unless you have current backups. My personal recommendation is that 20-30GBs is the minimum amount of free space you should always maintain. If you haven't enough space now, then you need an external storage drive on which you can store most of your files in order to maintain at least the minimum free space. This may help:

How to Free Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.
  2. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.
  3. Also, see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.
  4. What is 'Other' and 'Purgeable' in About This Mac?
  5. Files That Make Up the 'Other' Storage Category, and How to Remove Them
  6. Free up storage space on your Mac.
  7. See Where did my Disk Space go?.
  8. Be sure to Empty the Trash to recover the space.
  9. Replace the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.
  10. Use OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

May 23, 2020 4:10 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you - I cleared some space off my drive and tried again - I have 14.6 GB of storage and am upgrading from Sierra, is that enough? It's still not downloading - now it just hangs in the App Store application (Download button can't be clicked). I have a pie/ circle loading icon next to the launcher app in my Applications folder and it hasn't moved for an hour.

Upgrading was recommended to me by Apple customer support by the way, as I appear to be having problems with my battery and power - may or may not resolve with the included firmware update.

May 23, 2020 9:19 PM in response to Susan Stuart

No, that is not enough free space. To download and install Catalina will require about 30GBs. Most of that space will not be needed post-installation. However, macOS has a free space requirement of 20-30GBs to allow for OS needs.

Depending upon your Internet speed and connection, it should not take more than 2 hours to download the installer. But you have very little free space which may result in longer download times.

May 24, 2020 8:53 PM in response to Susan Stuart

Actually, you still needed the same requirements. Note, the requirements are for installation. After installation, you return to normal. In your case, you were upgrading an existing system, so most of the upgraded files are overwritten by new files with little if any change in space needs. Thus, you are where you should be. Alls well in Stuartville. 👍

Catalina installer doesn't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.