Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please Help, Bad EtreCheck Report

Hello:

My iMac has been running very slowly, practically since I first got it in December 2019. It was a brand new machine which I had gotten for Christmas, so its poor performance is a huge mystery to me.

I have run a few EtreCheck scans on it, and they do not look good. If someone could help me decipher what I need to do, I would truly appreciate it.

I have attached the latest scan, which I did this morning.

Thank you!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 23, 2020 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 4:46 AM

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Failing hard drive - This machine has a hard drive that appears to be failing.

it says, I would return it under warranty

6 replies

May 23, 2020 12:48 PM in response to Rudegar

Thank you, Rudegar, but I am wondering if the report means my internal hard drive, or one of my external drives? To me, it doesn't specify which one. Could a failing hard drive cause my externals to always come into play, even though I am not using anything from them? I just keep some document, music and video files on my externals.

I truly appreciate your answer, and look forward to a definite, "you should take it back, that's what the report is telling you."

I would hate to lose everything on my drive, but...

May 25, 2020 6:55 PM in response to AntBee

AntBee wrote:

Thank you, Rudegar, but I am wondering if the report means my internal hard drive, or one of my external drives?

EtreCheck's performance tests are only run on your startup drive.

I would hate to lose everything on my drive, but...

You appear to have a Time Machine backup. You won't lose anything.

One suggestion though. When you take your machine to Apple, don't mention EtreCheck. Apple likes to run their own diagnostics. Just explain the problem and demonstrate how slow the machine is. Ideally, do that using Apple software.

If they say there is nothing wrong with it, take it somewhere else. If you can't get anyone to fix it under warranty, you do have some alternatives. It would be a shame if you had to do that because this hard drive is clearly dead.

Please Help, Bad EtreCheck Report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.