Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo library issues

I have written before about my photo issue- stemming from the conversion from iPhotos. I've been helped greatly by Apple support and now all my photos are in one main library. But the library is on my desktop while I was working with it. I also copied it to my external.

I thought the desktop item should go into finder>pictures but when I go to move it there, it says it will disconnect me from iCloud. I don't want to do that. I want any changes to the library to show in iCloud. What should I do?

One more thing, there are now literally a few thousand photos in the deleted album and I wanted to activate 'delete all' but the app freezes. I tried with only one photo. Same thing. Also app freezes. If I try to delete from the library. Freezes as well. Trying to rearrange an album and app froze too. I ran disk utility to no avail. Do I have to wait weeks for the deleted photos to trash? It says 29 days.

So something's wrong with the app and/or library. It opens quickly and efficiently though.

Thanks, Tzipora

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 23, 2020 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 6:33 AM

Yes, the library must not be on iCloud Drive. It has to be removed from iCloud Drive. But as I wrote, you have to wait until it has been downloaded fully from iCloud. There must no longer be a dashed cloud symbol show close to it on the Desktop.

Similar questions

5 replies

May 23, 2020 7:05 AM in response to tzipora

If you have set up iCloud Drive to sync your Desktop and Documents folder, you must not keep the Photos Library on your Desktop. It will sooner or later get damaged by the iCloud syncing of the desktop. It may already be damaged. You simply cannot work safely with a Photos Library, if it is in a folder that is syncing with a cloud service, iCloud Drive, Google Drive, or DropBox, or a network share.

Quit Photos, if it is running. You will have to remove the Photos Library from the Desktop to your Pictures folder, but if you have enabled "Optimise Mac Storage, the Photos Library may no longer be complete. In that case disable "Optimise Mac Storage" and wait for any cloud icon beside the Photos Library to vanish. Then drag the Photos Library to the Pictures folder.

Once the library is in the Pictures folder, try to open it again in Photos by double clicking the library. Can Photos open the library in your Pictures folder? To sync your Photos Library with iCloud Photos, open the Photos Preferences > iCloud , then enable iCloud Photos.

May 23, 2020 8:23 AM in response to léonie

Leonie, thank you for trying to help but here's the situation. I've disabled 'optimise Mac storage' as you suggested. I can't drag the photos library to the pictures folder because I get a message saying that. 'Are you sure you want to remove your photo library from iCloud drive? Also written is 'This item will be moved to this Mac and will no longer be available in iCloud Drive on any of your devices .

I see by mistake I moved the library from the desktop to iCloud drive when I wanted it in Pictures. So if I do move it to pictures and it is not available in iCloud drive is that ok? Will the library still be connected to iCloud? As opposed to iCloud drive? This confuses me. Thanks in advance. Tzipora

May 24, 2020 6:02 AM in response to tzipora

I think I should move forward and move the library off my desktop to finder>pictures and remove it from iCloud drive. I think, I hope that will be what I need to do.

Then I hope it will be ok then. At this point, Photos freezing when I try to delete or move photos.

Please confirm this is the correct thing to do. Many thanks, Tzipora

Photo library issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.