Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally moved photos library to icloud and now can't open it

I just upgraded my icloud storage and accidentally moved the photos library to my icloud account. Now when i click on it in my icloud, it tries to open it and I get the message "photos has attempted to repair the library 'photos library' but is unable to open it. I tried turning my computer off but still won't work. I also tried moving the library to my desktop but I don't have enough storage space. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to lose all of my photos.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 11:26 PM

Hi

You can't open a photo library from cloud storage. Did you copy the library to the iCloud folder, or move it. (IE does the library still exist in your pictures folder?

If it does can you still open it from there?

Do you have a backup of your library (EG do you use time machine to backup your mac)?

If it is not in your pictures folder, and you don't have enough storage on your mac to put the library back, you can completely move the library to external storage with the disadvantage that you must have the external storage connected whenever you want to use photos. (in fact you should have it connected whenever you log in) You can then still use the photos app to view, manage and edit your photos.

To correctly prepare the external drive:

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine.

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt). File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2021 11:26 PM in response to Bubaloo07

Hi

You can't open a photo library from cloud storage. Did you copy the library to the iCloud folder, or move it. (IE does the library still exist in your pictures folder?

If it does can you still open it from there?

Do you have a backup of your library (EG do you use time machine to backup your mac)?

If it is not in your pictures folder, and you don't have enough storage on your mac to put the library back, you can completely move the library to external storage with the disadvantage that you must have the external storage connected whenever you want to use photos. (in fact you should have it connected whenever you log in) You can then still use the photos app to view, manage and edit your photos.

To correctly prepare the external drive:

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine.

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt). File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Mar 13, 2021 12:04 AM in response to Bubaloo07

Which system version is installed on your Mac? The signature is showing OS X 10.10, which is a rather old version, that does not even support Photos at all, so you are probably running a newer version. If you are running the newest system version - macOS 11 Big Sur, you should be seeing a crossed out cloud to the right of the Photos Library in iCloud, because Big Sur will prevent the library from uploading to iCloud. In that case you could simply drag the library back to the Pictures folder. Big Sur is protecting a Photos Library from getting damaged by iCloud syncing.

I also tried moving the library to my desktop

You cannot even keep the library on your Desktop, if you have enabled the option "Desktop & Documents" for iCloud Drive, because then the Desktops folder will also be in iCloud.

Mar 13, 2021 6:40 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you everyone. I am running Yosemite 10.10.5. I am going to upgrade to High Sierra but my mac is too old to run Catalina. I did not know that the icloud drive was not compatible with photos libraries. I don't have enough storage on my current external storage device for my photo library but i will get one with more storage and try that. Thank you so much! It's so nice that people take the time to help others on this forum. It's so helpful. I absolutely panicked last night thinking I'd lost all of my photos.

Accidentally moved photos library to icloud and now can't open it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.