Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Screenshots, can't deleted them also. Serious problem.

It's suddenly happened around 3 days ago. I've been always opened my screenshots with 'Preview'. Now, it says 'The file "Screenshot (any screenshots)" couldn't be opened.' These statement pops up to every screenshot when I try to open.

The second problem is I can't even delete them from my desktop background.

When I try to 'delete' them, nothing happens.

When I move them to trash, nothing happens.

Help me I feel my MacBook is getting slower by this. The desktop background is now full of screenshots!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 23, 2020 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 12:06 AM

That is strange.

If you select one on the Desktop and tap the Space bar, do they open up in a "Quick Look" view?

How about the in the Preview Pane in a Finder window?

If you Get Info on one of them and scroll down to "Sharing and Permissions", do you see that you still have Read & Write permissions?

3 replies

Jun 4, 2020 9:05 AM in response to userchloe

I fixed my own issue with ScreenShot by going into Activity Monitor:

Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac

1. In the Activity Monitor app on your Mac, under the Process Name list, select the app or process you want to quit. An unresponsive process is marked with (Not Responding). ... 
  2. Click the Force Quit button ("x" in a circle) in the upper-left corner of the Activity Monitorwindow (or use the Touch Bar). This gives 2 options Quit or Force Quit.
  3. I was able to quit the application - as opposed to Force Quit. Then I could open ScreenShot App again.

Jun 4, 2020 8:55 AM in response to John Rose6

I have the same problem, I opened Screenshot, clicked on video and now I can no longer open Screenshot - getting the error message mentioned above, and the application shows up in Activity Monitor using up 15 - 20% capacity. I cannot shut it down. I checked the suggestions above and was able to see that I do have Read/Write Permissions. Please help. Thank you.

Can't open Screenshots, can't deleted them also. Serious problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.