Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro fan noise and battery suddenly discharges and Mac shuts down

Hello,

while playing a game in Windows bootcamp one fan started doing a noise, after a few mins it suddenly shuts down when I tried to start it again it said battery was discharged, triad again and it started with 55% when I had 100%.

Now every time my fans go fast, a few seconds later the noise comes back and a few more seconds later Mac shuts down and battery goes to 1% (always with power cable connected). I tried with a tool called "Macs fan control" which lets me set fans to highest speed without heating the Mac. And it happens the same as just explained.

I run the Mac's diagnostic tool (the one you have to shut down Mac and press D when starting) but it said everything was fine. Battery says its "Normal". No software can detect the problem.

I know the obvious answer will be "go to an Apple center". Problem is, it is out of warranty and can't pay for it, nearest center is 700km away in another state/province and my whole country is in quarantine.

I would appreciate any insight on this problem. Thanks a lot.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 23, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 4:31 PM

Try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset.

Does the laptop run Ok when using macOS? If so, then you most likely have some sort of Windows software issue. That means you are going to have to seek assistance from Microsoft and the publisher of the game.

If macOS has a problem, then please provide us with the exact model of the laptop and the version of macOS. You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac". Also please tell us any symptoms when using or attempting to use macOS.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2020 4:31 PM in response to MrMauriF

Try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset.

Does the laptop run Ok when using macOS? If so, then you most likely have some sort of Windows software issue. That means you are going to have to seek assistance from Microsoft and the publisher of the game.

If macOS has a problem, then please provide us with the exact model of the laptop and the version of macOS. You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac". Also please tell us any symptoms when using or attempting to use macOS.

May 24, 2020 7:49 AM in response to MrMauriF

You need to take keeping that battery mostly full far more seriously. After user complaints, Apple issued this guidance for the two ThunderBolt ports model. It likely also applies to yours and many others.

If your MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) keeps shutting down - Apple Support

Best practice is to use the computer on AC power whenever it is available (not just really convenient) and use it on battery only when AC power is not available.

May 24, 2020 6:34 AM in response to HWTech

Using the Mac a bit more I realized some things:

• The noise is coming from left side fan. Which spins a bit slower than right side fan.
  • Actual problem is the battery, it only works with Mac pluged but if it gets disconnected (which happens often since im using a loose adapter) it shuts down even if it says 100% and after starting it again it says 0%.

Model: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Battery installed: yes

Cycle count: 261

Condition: Normal

Fully charged: Yes (though it says 0%)

Charging: No

This happens using both windows and MacOS.

Macbook Pro fan noise and battery suddenly discharges and Mac shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.