Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a purpose in Sharing to use “Everyone” with Privileges set to “No Access?"

It seems like this would lock down security in the event an unauthorized party obtains access to a computer or drive. But Sharing & Permissions seems to take care of those concerns with only authorized personnel listed and you intend that they are assigned “Read & Write.” Is there any benefit to having the “everyone” line in privileges at all, in this case — why not delete it?

Background: Here’s what got my attention. I was surprised to see a couple of examples of Apple support pages where an external drive is depicted with “everyone” set to “Read only” — one in the screenshot example for “Transfer Time Machine backups from one backup disk to another” and another screenshot on how to “Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac.” For all the hassles that permissions can present, it doesn’t do you much good if anybody (maybe the burglar who just stole your computer or just lifted your Time Machine disk) can have read access to find a tax return or other source of personally identifiable information to exploit. Seems weird to me Apple would promote those examples. Mostly when I see the computer has some privileges for things I don't understand like Wheel, Staff, or System I just trust that Tim Cook knows what's best and leave it alone.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 23, 2020 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2020 8:56 PM

The permissions you speak of only pertain to regular users on your system. The read-only setting is to prevent anyone from accidentally modifying your backup files, but allow access to recover a file safely from the backup. The default macOS permissions are meant to keep the system safe but still easily usable so certain compromises are made to local security. Of course users are free to modify settings to lock the system down even more, but you need to do it carefully or you could break something.

If you don't want anyone accessing your files, then enable encryption on the drive. If someone gets physical access to your computer or just the external drive and it is not encrypted, then it doesn't matter what those permissions are. Anyone can connect an un-encrypted drive or device to another system and access everything on it. If your computer has multiple users and you don't want them accessing files within your user account, then make sure to only make them a Standard user account. Anyone with an Admin account on the computer can potentially access files located in your own user account (even if the drive is encrypted since the drive must be unlocked when another user is using it).

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2020 8:56 PM in response to terry999

The permissions you speak of only pertain to regular users on your system. The read-only setting is to prevent anyone from accidentally modifying your backup files, but allow access to recover a file safely from the backup. The default macOS permissions are meant to keep the system safe but still easily usable so certain compromises are made to local security. Of course users are free to modify settings to lock the system down even more, but you need to do it carefully or you could break something.

If you don't want anyone accessing your files, then enable encryption on the drive. If someone gets physical access to your computer or just the external drive and it is not encrypted, then it doesn't matter what those permissions are. Anyone can connect an un-encrypted drive or device to another system and access everything on it. If your computer has multiple users and you don't want them accessing files within your user account, then make sure to only make them a Standard user account. Anyone with an Admin account on the computer can potentially access files located in your own user account (even if the drive is encrypted since the drive must be unlocked when another user is using it).

May 24, 2020 1:39 PM in response to terry999

Anyone that has physical access to your computer does not need permissions, as permissions are enforced by the operating system, and if the person with physical access can use any operating system they want to access your storage.

This is why it is a good idea to encrypt your storage, internal or external.

If the intruder gains access via the network, then they must gain access to an existing account. Your account is the most likely, unless they found a security flaw that gave them 'root' access and 'root' does not care about file system permissions. 'root' is allowed to access anything its heart desires. It may need to jump through some hoops to gain write access on a Mac with SIP or on a Catalina Mac with a readonly boot partition.

So you are left with protecting against network access to a secondary account that you most likely do not have on your system.

Besides if someone gets into your Mac via the network, you have bigger problems.

Finally, globally blocking "everyone" access may have unintended consequences, as there are various agents and daemons that run in the background that may need to access files they do not own.

The concept of User, Group, Other read/write/execute permissions comes from the days when Unix based operating system were multi-user time-sharing systems, used in corporations and universities.

These days personal computers, especially Macs, are typically single user systems. Yes I know some families may have a single computer and everyone has to share it. In those cases, it would be wise to remove Other (Everyone) permission from sensitive files and folders to the kids do not get into the household finances, etc... But that is a rare situation.

May 26, 2020 7:56 AM in response to HWTech

HWTech,

Thanks. I had no idea that with physical custody of a drive, an evildoer can override those permissions, but in a day and age where security contractors can crack an iPhone login code it shouldn’t surprise me. I’ve been somewhat security conscious after a former coworker many years ago had “taken home” for telework something like 40 million records of individuals’ PII and a youngster made off with the (personally owned) laptop in a home burglary just to sell it to a pawn shop. Thankfully, it was recovered by police from the pawn shop in that case with no evidence of a data spill. So I'm sensitive but nonetheless I've avoided encryption after my son's bad experience years ago where the Mac lost power while open on an encrypted volume and his data were unrecoverable. (Though I don't mean to take the thread off-track about Mac encryption; it's water under the bridge.)

Terry

May 26, 2020 7:58 AM in response to BobHarris

Thank you, Bob. I was impressed by the common sense of your observation that blocking "everyone" access may have unintended consequences with regard to agents and daemons that run in the background. Particularly when I did that with the Time Machine drive while I was on that over-exuberant security tear, updating privileges on several shared drives on our home network where I was including the now-obviously unnecessary “everyone: no access” (leaving read/write for named family members’ accounts). Man, that Time Machine users/groups prefs update (that I’ll need to undo) has been running for four days and I’m still hearing the drive purr, going strong trying to complete (TM data was gathered 2009 to date, 1.7 TB used on the Time Machine disk).

Terry

Is there a purpose in Sharing to use “Everyone” with Privileges set to “No Access?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.