Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share Disk Read Only

Hello, guys!

Does anyone know how to make a disk that's being shared via Share Disk mode read only? As you can see below, these are the privileges that I see when I click "Get Info" on my drive. However, when I share this disk with another M1 MacBook, I am able to delete files from it. How do I disable that?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 4:52 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 3, 2022 10:01 AM in response to Veronica Blair

How are you logging into the Mac that is the host? If you are remotely logging in using an account on the host Mac, you have exactly the same permissions as if you logged in directly.

If you want to control access to the drive, create a Sharing Only User in Users & Groups and Share the drive out to that user as read only. Log into the Mac using that user.

If there are multiple users, create multiple Sharing Only users and create a Group for them all. Add the drive to Sharing using that Group as read only.

Jul 5, 2022 2:42 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you a lot for your time! I’ve done a bit of research and have jumped to the following conclusions.

It looks like an external drive in GUI, when in fact it’s operating over SMB protocol. That’s why diskutil doesn’t see it and diskarbitrationd can’t prevent it from writing (tried both adding settings to /etc/fstab and turning off disk arbitration at all).

I was looking for a forensically sound method but seems to me as if it’s dead when Target mode was deprecated :( Thank you all guys for your help, I really appreciate it. But looks like you are right, no way to do so without any physical write blocker.

Share Disk Read Only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.