Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing is showing drives even though they aren't shared

Recently replaced a Mac Mini running High Sierra with a new M1 Mac Mini running Big Sur.

Most settings moved across OK except file sharing. I set up shared folders on the new machine and they work. However, it's also showing ALL hard disk volumes (unshared) as shares. I really do not want to share those over the network.

How do I stop my hard disks from appearing as shares on the network?

Currently, Windows File sharing is off for all users and guest access is off.

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 4:42 AM

I've found the issue! It turns out that if I connect with an administrator ID, it will display all connected volumes. When connecting as a regular user, it works as expected. I just noticed this in the file sharing dialog.

This is different from previous versions, where I would only see things explicitly shared regardless of my login ID. It seems this changed in either Mojave or Catalina.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 4:42 AM in response to DiZoE

I've found the issue! It turns out that if I connect with an administrator ID, it will display all connected volumes. When connecting as a regular user, it works as expected. I just noticed this in the file sharing dialog.

This is different from previous versions, where I would only see things explicitly shared regardless of my login ID. It seems this changed in either Mojave or Catalina.

Apr 26, 2021 1:21 AM in response to Drew Baron

Hi Drew Baron!

Good question.

Are other devices showing up on your Mac as sources? If so, where do you see them?

For those other devices showing up in Shared Preferences, are you able to remove them from there, clicking the “-“ instead of the “+” in this article?:

Set up file sharing on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-file-sharing-on-mac-mh17131/mac

Likewise, I do know the names of the Mac’s can affect the Sharing Preferences.

If you go to:

System Preferences > Sharing, you can see the name of your Mac(s) from a sharing standpoint, do they all differ in a way? Or do they all have a (2) or (3) in front of them? I’ve found re-naming each can help I’m similar situations, if, I’m fact that’s what’s going on.

Change your computer’s name or local hostname on Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-computers-local-hostname-mac-mchlp2322/mac

If this is not the case, can you say the make/model and operating systems of the other devices showing up?

File sharing is showing drives even though they aren't shared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.