Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up names for "Sharing and Permissions"

I have a data folder that I copy periodically to my wife's iMac for an application that has a backup user.

Right now, if I do "Get Info" on that folder on my iMac, then select "Sharing and Permissions", I see:

my wife Read & Write

*fetching... Read & Write

*fetching... Read & Write

me Read & Write

staff Read only

everyone Read and write

The asterisks before "Fetching" are spinning.

Other folders just have me, staff, & everyone. I added my wife trying to resolve permission issues in running that application on her computer.

If I click on +, there are some groups I can select:

Administrators

boinc_master

boinc_project

con.malwarebytes.mbam.nobody

my grandson by one name

my grandson by another name.

So I have some questions:

1. How do I resolve the spinning asterisks (Wall-Mart symbols)?
  2. How do I get rid of my grandson's names?
  3. I do have Malwarebytes, but don't know what boinc is.

(This forum still thinks my 2013 iMac is my device instead of my M1 iMac, and I'm using High Sierra.)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 1:05 PM

I've seen the "fetching" messages before. I believe that Finder is looking for users that aren't defined for currently installed system (i.e. leftovers from a previous configuration). If you are an adminstrator, unlock the lock, select the user (or group) that you wish to remove, and then click on the "-" button.

As for Boinc:

- Pie Lover

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 1:05 PM in response to Howard Brazee

I've seen the "fetching" messages before. I believe that Finder is looking for users that aren't defined for currently installed system (i.e. leftovers from a previous configuration). If you are an adminstrator, unlock the lock, select the user (or group) that you wish to remove, and then click on the "-" button.

As for Boinc:

- Pie Lover

Feb 9, 2022 1:43 PM in response to Howard Brazee

The Terminal command "chmod -RN folder" (where folder is the name of the folder containing the files) can be used to remove ACL (access control list) entries. Executing this command from Terminal will leave only yourself (and your default group) with access rights. Note that the "R" option performs this operation recursively (i.e. on folders within folders within folders...).

Before following this approach, I strongly recommend that you first try it out on a test folder.

Setting up names for "Sharing and Permissions"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.