Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shared folder vs custom access

Hello, My question is probably so basic it's not even found on the forum. ugh. I am a long time Mac user and understand file sharing, and custom access. I have several network hard drives and manage them ok. I've never been clear on this - I manage Sharing and Permission for any folder using "Custom Access" at the bottom of the "Get Info" window. What do "Locked" and "Shared folder" at the top do that is different? I checked "Shared folder", to see but can't find a specific change to the folder. I've spent too much time over the years for something that didn't seem important enough to create a post. I, finally decided to simply ask. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 8:00 PM

If you check "Shared," it adds the folder to the list of Shares in File Sharing. That may be done with POSIX permissions, or ACLs, depending on the location of the folder.

An ACL results in "Custom" because it creates a sharing group for the folder.

Locked prevents changes to an item. For a folder, that should prevent you from changing the name or adding/deleting items from the folder. You should still be able to edit items in the folder.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 8:00 PM in response to reademandweep

If you check "Shared," it adds the folder to the list of Shares in File Sharing. That may be done with POSIX permissions, or ACLs, depending on the location of the folder.

An ACL results in "Custom" because it creates a sharing group for the folder.

Locked prevents changes to an item. For a folder, that should prevent you from changing the name or adding/deleting items from the folder. You should still be able to edit items in the folder.

shared folder vs custom access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.