Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't move the contents on a spare internal drive without changing Permissions

Hi, I have an internal storage drive on my old Mac Pro where I have stored countless folders over the years. Recently I had cause to search through them and found that in some cases if I wanted to move something like a photo or open a folder I got the message that I didn't have Permission ........

I would check on the Permissions and find that it was checked for Read & Write for mpowner but not for others, so after setting Permissions for others and going back to check the folder I just got the same message. In other cases it will just bring up a window asking me to enter my PW which I do and I can then complete the action I was taking. Any ideas what I can try to get this put right.

Thanks

Posted on May 23, 2020 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 7:42 AM

A drive that has MacOS installed on it is initialized with Owners enabled, and probably needs to stay that way.

If you are the only one using this drive, and you have no other complicating requirements such as HIPPA regulations, you can set the entire Volume to

[√] ignore ownership on this Volume.

If it has MacOS installed, the downside is that it may never boot MacOS again after that change.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 7:42 AM in response to JmDo

A drive that has MacOS installed on it is initialized with Owners enabled, and probably needs to stay that way.

If you are the only one using this drive, and you have no other complicating requirements such as HIPPA regulations, you can set the entire Volume to

[√] ignore ownership on this Volume.

If it has MacOS installed, the downside is that it may never boot MacOS again after that change.

May 24, 2020 11:07 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant, I do have a System folder with a partial Library and a partial Installation folder on it. I think it is something left over from years ago when I moved my system to an SSD drive. Maybe I copied them at that time in case I needed. them someday. The drive it self was always intended for storage and non-bootable.

I believe to set the ownership of the volume to ignore I right click on the volume and choose Get Info and check that item.

Is there anything else involved other than that.

I can't move the contents on a spare internal drive without changing Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.