Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone se 2020 wifi issues

My brand new iPhone SE 2020 is having trouble staying connected to wifi which is in same room., I have done all the usual disconnect reconnect reboot the router reset the networking system restore,, ISP even replace my router. I am at wit's end. I am suspecting it's a hardware issue with the phone.

iPhone SE

Posted on May 24, 2020 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 1:40 PM

I had same issue, my wife too. I was so frustrated I decided to start reading and watching everything I could on WiFi issues on iPhone, not just 2020 SE. I eventually came across a video that made me look for something and I just changed a setting that, after 20 mins, auto connects to my home WiFi like my iPhone 7 and iPad does. Hope it continues to work, if you’ve been having the same problem with WiFi not connecting and/or dropping connection on your iPhone SE 2020, try this..

>Settings

>Privacy

>Location Services

.......scroll to bottom of menu

>System Services

.......Networking & Wireless was turned off, try turning it on and then cycle power to you phone

.......You may need to connect to your WiFi manually for the first time, but after that mine functions just like my trusty old iPhone7

Worked for me 😀

BTW, while you are in this menu, checkout what else is turned off, many things for me, I turned a few of them on while I was there, like Cell Network Search, HomeKit, and Motion Calibration and Distance. Not sure how so many services got turned off, I’ll play with them to see what affect they have on my apps.

Let me know if this works for you, cheers.

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2020 1:40 PM in response to darkwingvt

I had same issue, my wife too. I was so frustrated I decided to start reading and watching everything I could on WiFi issues on iPhone, not just 2020 SE. I eventually came across a video that made me look for something and I just changed a setting that, after 20 mins, auto connects to my home WiFi like my iPhone 7 and iPad does. Hope it continues to work, if you’ve been having the same problem with WiFi not connecting and/or dropping connection on your iPhone SE 2020, try this..

>Settings

>Privacy

>Location Services

.......scroll to bottom of menu

>System Services

.......Networking & Wireless was turned off, try turning it on and then cycle power to you phone

.......You may need to connect to your WiFi manually for the first time, but after that mine functions just like my trusty old iPhone7

Worked for me 😀

BTW, while you are in this menu, checkout what else is turned off, many things for me, I turned a few of them on while I was there, like Cell Network Search, HomeKit, and Motion Calibration and Distance. Not sure how so many services got turned off, I’ll play with them to see what affect they have on my apps.

Let me know if this works for you, cheers.

May 24, 2020 12:22 AM in response to darkwingvt

darkwingvt Said:

phone se 2020 wifi issues: [...]ISP even replace my router. I am at wit's end. I am suspecting it's a hardware issue with the phone.

———-

Two Thoughts:

• New Modem/Router:

Does this work in other Wi-Fi networks, just not yours? Do other devices have issues on your WiFi? If both are the case, then restart the modem/router. If that is of no success for other items on your WiFi as well, then I would recommend getting a new Modem/Router

• Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

If purchased from Apple, ask them to take a look at it. You have a one-year out-of-the-box limited warrant with this item. So, rather than risk a faulty device - send it into Apple, having them take a look at it.

Apple Phone Support Info:

Perform Send-In Service:

With Apple Stores currently closed at the moment, all there is for service is send-in service. So, contact Apple, and have them look at it.

1. Apple: would send you a box
  2. You: would sent it to Apple
  3. Apple: would look at it, letting you know your options
  4. You: would determine whether or not to get it serviced
  5. Apple: would service it
  6. You: would get the iPhone back.

For Thought: If needed, write some notes on what particular things they should look at (i.e. about certain locations occurrences in the phone), and include the paper of notes in the box.

Jul 1, 2020 11:42 AM in response to darkwingvt

My girlfriend and I just 'upgraded' from the Iphone 6s to the Iphone SE 2020 and are having the same issues. I also have tried all of the 'fixes' that are online. It is super frustrating because the Iphone 6s never had any wifi related issues, it had no problem automatically connecting to known networks, it never dropped the connection, and the range was MUCH better. The new Iphone SE almost never automatically connects to known networks, drops the connection every few minutes (even when actively using the device), and the range is awful when it is able to connect. My Iphone 6s can get wifi signal way out in the yard and the SE can't get it in the living room. I hope this is addressed soon, very disappointing.

Jul 27, 2020 6:49 AM in response to darkwingvt

Same here. Upgraded from a 6s and the wifi reception was much better than my new iPhone SE. This phone acts as if I’m in Siberia instead of being in the same room. I am the only one in the household with an iPhone and the only one with wifi problems. This was behaving this way right out of the box and I’m really disappointed. I have done all the troubleshooting and nothing has changed. IOS 13.5 upgrade, and still no change. My wifi bars show a full connection, but my apps say I’m not connected to the internet. That goes back and forth ALL day long. I didn’t think a brand new iPhone would need servicing right out of the box, but is that the situation I’m in?? UGH. I’ve scoured the internet and the only suggestions I’ve seen are the same old ones I’ve used already. I can’t even tell if there is any awareness of a problem with this model iPhone.

Jan 30, 2021 10:35 AM in response to darkwingvt

Oh my gosh! I just got a new Iphone SE (2020) and previously had a 6. Terrible battery eventually but connection worked just fine. I have terrible wifi at my house (so that makes me question if it was my phone or the router recently), but wifi connected and stayed fine for me the majority of the time before the end of this week. Then I came to my boyfriend’s house and the wifi wouldn’t work at all on my phone - but it WOULD connect, after entering the password. After so many times trying I got this message after being connected -> Settings -> WiFi -> “i” symbol next to wifi name -> Forget This Network -> clicking on it again and entering password. I got the message in the attached photo. “ACCESS BLOCKED ... blah blah blah” ... I saw the first post here and saw Airplane Mode was mentioned... tried that, turned off cellular and everything, reconnected AGAIN, and MAGIC - IT WORKED FOR THE FIRST TIME HERE! I R E A L L Y hope this isn’t a hardware/software issue and isn’t a short-term fix where the problem will continually happen. Thanks. Hope this helps somebody else out too.

Jun 2, 2020 12:49 AM in response to darkwingvt

Hi DarkWing,

I'm having troubles with the Wifi disconnecting on my new iphone SE as well. Problem is that Wifi gets disconnected when the device goes into standby mode. Is that for you the same, or do you also see the wifi dropping during use of the phone?

I've tried all the suggestions you can find online, restored it twice and started all over without backup, but nothing is resolving the issue so far.

Since Wifi is stable once connected, I don't think it is hardware related.

Apple WIFI engineering team reached out to ask for log files, but haven't heard anything after that. Now on 13.5.1, but still no resolution.

Jul 27, 2020 7:24 AM in response to Ivy MD

I have the same issue. All the replies are missing the point, this phone has some kind of defect when it comes to wifi connections. Some apps like Weather, even the App store will tell you no connection to wifi when it clearly is connected. I've been on my ipad watching videos with my phone right next to it, and the phone is telling me there is no wifi connection. This phone is crap and Apple needs to address this issue.

Jul 29, 2020 6:14 AM in response to JaniceInBrooklyn

I am having exactly the same issues as well. It's ridiculous, once its locked all Internet connection are off wifi, as well as mobile data. Done everything thing possible, all settings changes, factory reset from phone and from itunes. Nothing worked. It's a headache really. Everytime i have to open my email, whatsapp, or viber to see the notifications. What i see are missed calls 1 hour ago, 30 mins ago so on.. Any idea how to fix this issue? Is it a hardware or software issue

Jul 29, 2020 6:21 AM in response to sujit177

Update since my first post... I called AppleCare and got through to them that there's no wifi issue, it's the phone. I got switched to the engineering dept and here's what they did (took almost an hour, so if you call, be ready for that). I turned on certain settings on my phone to allow Apple access to log my activity, then we replicated the problem... turned wifi on, off, etc and each time tried opening various apps. Some opened, some gave the "no internet" crap, so this got documented. Then those logs are uploaded to Apple engineers to find the error in the code that's causing this. Once uploaded, you disconnect from Apple logging and delete the log. I have to say it was thorough, I have a case number and have an appt for Apple Rep to call me back Thursday morning. I was glad they took it seriously. Anyone who's experiencing this, Call Apple!! They aren't going to fix this without more people reporting it.

Jul 29, 2020 6:37 AM in response to JaniceInBrooklyn

Thanks for replying. So its not a hardware issue but a software issue?

It will be great help if you can share with me the case number, coz i have been talking with apple care since 2 days and no luck and again i have an appointment tomorrow, may be i can ask the engineer to refer to your case number so that he can get an idea about the issue and assist me with ease. If you are reluctant to post the case id in the community, request you to share the case id in my email id below

Sujitdas2104@gmail.com

Thanks

Aug 11, 2020 9:06 AM in response to darkwingvt

I also have this problem. Upgraded from the Gen 1 Iphone SE. Have done all the recommended steps of resetting all the settings etc. Several other Apple and non-Apple devices have much better connectivity to our Wifi from around our house. I cannot get Wifi from my living room to my dining room which is approx 20ft away with a wall in between. No reception in the back yard or garage or even upstairs pretty much above the router.

My Gen 1 Iphone SE has ZERO problems in these areas and gets between 2-3 wifi bars!!!

I am on a limited data plan as I have always worked from home, and rarely use it outside the house, so this has cost me money over the past few months with overages!! I have limited what apps can use wifi now but that is a temporary solution in my opinion! Given so many responses on the forums here it seems to be a common problem.

Aug 13, 2020 12:39 AM in response to darkwingvt

I have the similar issues. I have done network resets, router resets you name it. I am frankly hugely disappointed with the wifi range and resilience of my new IPhone SE. I will NOT be recommending it to anyone. One of the main things I can no longer do is to lie in bed and use YouTube hypnosis to assist me relax with chronic pain or get me to sleep - the constant dropping prevents me being able to do this. Yes. I could use data and have but I am running out of my data allowance and cannot afford more data. My old Iphone SE was perfect but has serious faults with screen etc hence I bought a new phone. I am now having to use my old iPhone se (from 2012) purely for Wifi use for YouTube. and radio. My Echo works perfectly well too and does not drop out.

It does not drop out beside my router by the way. In short a 12 year old faulty iphone se performs better with WiFI range and does not drop out than my 3 month old new iPhone SE. What can you suggest, Apple? I look forward to getting a solution.

Iphone se 2020 wifi issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.