Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Workout App MAP completely busted?

For the most part, the map feature of the workout app has been fairly accurate over the years.

I think the map irregularities may have started as of the watchOS 6.2.5 update. Mind you, I run in a park, often on narrow trails amongst very tall trees, so I know GPS tracking can get off a bit.

The map is showing some mild inaccuracies putting me in places I never ran to what today was preposterous: the map had me swimming in the Sound, circling ferries and running around a ferry dock that was more than a half a mile from where I was actually running. An no, I didn’t go swimming nor can I run on water. It had me finish my run at least a half mile from my start/finish several blocks outside of the park. I never left the park on the run.

One other note: my VO2Max dropped from what has typically been in the 58-60 range, to 44. I’ve unpaired and repaired the watch and will see what happens tomorrow, but I get the feeling something is awry.

I don’t know if the watch is fine, the GPS data is fine, and the workout app is simply not displaying the data on the map correctly, if an update to the watch changed how the GPS data is read and is coming up with errors, or the bug is caused by something else.

Should I reset the watch to factory settings and set up as new?

Posted on May 24, 2020 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 10:11 AM

Check these settings;

To see the map, you must turn on route tracking. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services,turn location services on then tap Apple Watch Workout, then tap While Using the App.

Then tap on maps then tap While using the app.

Then tap on System Services and turn on motion calibration and distance.

Another place to check is on the watch in settings/privacy/Location Services and make sure this is turned on and scroll down to apple watch workout and select while using the app.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2020 10:11 AM in response to Kevin Callahan

Check these settings;

To see the map, you must turn on route tracking. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services,turn location services on then tap Apple Watch Workout, then tap While Using the App.

Then tap on maps then tap While using the app.

Then tap on System Services and turn on motion calibration and distance.

Another place to check is on the watch in settings/privacy/Location Services and make sure this is turned on and scroll down to apple watch workout and select while using the app.

May 25, 2020 10:08 AM in response to Community User

Today, the MAP showed the starting pin only. No tracking of the run through the park. No endpoint. This happened on one run last week as well (after the 6.2.5 update).

I checked my wife’s map today for a walk and hers too had nothing by a starting pin location. She updated to 6.2.5 a few days ago. The map for her run yesterday was accurate.

I’m going to wipe my watch and set up as new.

We each have the Series 4/LTE.

May 25, 2020 10:39 AM in response to Community User

Those settings are all verified. Btw: I have been running with Apple Watch since Series 0 and bought each new series up to Series 4. While there have been little issue here and there over the years, I’ve seen nothing like this with maps and now VO2Max.

Will post results after setting up watch as new and do another run tomorrow.

Apple Watch Workout App MAP completely busted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.