Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk not Ejected properly

Suddenly every time my mac goes to sleep, a notification appears saying the one of he disks does was not ejected properly.

Usually it my Time machine external disk I usually have another disk connected at the same, it clones periodically

What causes his sudden behavior. Never happened before

I am running Mojave

The external disks are connected through a dock - and have been since before the problem sarted

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 24, 2020 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 2:51 PM

tommmy wrote:

Suddenly every time my mac goes to sleep, a notification appears saying the one of he disks does was not ejected properly.
Usually it my Time machine external disk I usually have another disk connected at the same, it clones periodically

I am running Mojave
The external disks are connected through a dock - and have been since before the problem sarted

This is a indicator that one of the drives could be failing/operating in a state of failure.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 2:51 PM in response to tommmy

tommmy wrote:

I am running Mojave

This is a indicator that one of the drives could be failing/operating in a state of failure.

May 24, 2020 2:57 PM in response to leroydouglas

Ouch. You are probably right

I had three external drives give me trouble. I was able to nurse them back using disk uility and disk warrior.

I suppose it is time to retire them At least one is not that old. Two are LaCie one is G-systems

Wonder how / why three (3) disks fail in quick succession. All failed disks are 4tb

I have several 2TB that are okay, so far

Any idea?

May 28, 2020 3:05 PM in response to leroydouglas

@lerogdouglas The people at G-Technolgies say that since the disks are bus driven it must be an Apple problem

What I can't understand is that in two days three 4TB drives would have gone south after having no problem for over a yer I have had this computer. I have several 2TB drives that haven't given me any trouble. One is continuously connected and makes a clone once a day

I erased two of the disk and since I was doing a secure erase with Disk Utility I left it on all night and it didn't eject

Any new ideas, and thanks

Disk not Ejected properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.