Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation code on old iPad

Hey all,

my mom’s refurbished iPad, which my sister and I bought her eight years ago, has suddenly popped up an activation lock.

She has been using it almost daily since the day we got it for her, and never has this popped up. This has locked her out of using her iPad and she’s got tons of stuff on it.

Everywhere I have read says that you can’t get through an activation lock unless you have the previous owner’s information. We bought this iPad at a big-name electronics store over eight years ago, how can we possibly get that information now? Is there any way to get through this or is this another way Apple forces their customers to buy new products?!

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on May 25, 2020 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2020 1:00 PM

When you say you bought it at a big-name-electronics store 8 years ago, was it used? If it was and it was never properly prepared for a new user, and you don't know who previously owned the iPad, there is no way to bypass Activation Lock. This is not a conspiracy to make you buy anything. This is an anti-theft system which prevents users from bypassing a device which was not properly prepared for a new user.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2020 1:00 PM in response to vero208

When you say you bought it at a big-name-electronics store 8 years ago, was it used? If it was and it was never properly prepared for a new user, and you don't know who previously owned the iPad, there is no way to bypass Activation Lock. This is not a conspiracy to make you buy anything. This is an anti-theft system which prevents users from bypassing a device which was not properly prepared for a new user.

Activation code on old iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.