Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer Crash Unexpectadly, have a report

How do I find out what software and a reason for the crash. It happened for the fourth time in a week. I do have the crash report that asked me to submit to Apple, but I did not.

Thanks.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 25, 2020 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 9:34 AM

Two Macs are Almost identical.

1. Perfect is ON 1 software and plugins for Photoshop, which being use by millions m.
  2. Little Snitch 10 years no problem
  3. Techsmith, Snagit screen capture, Years in use, and used by millions.
  4. Cycling74, soundflower music capture incoming sound steaming, 10 years of use no problem.

Remains the hardware issue, and that is a tough one. I ran disc utility, and the HD appears fine.

Thanks for your support.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 9:34 AM in response to MrHoffman

Two Macs are Almost identical.

1. Perfect is ON 1 software and plugins for Photoshop, which being use by millions m.
  2. Little Snitch 10 years no problem
  3. Techsmith, Snagit screen capture, Years in use, and used by millions.
  4. Cycling74, soundflower music capture incoming sound steaming, 10 years of use no problem.

Remains the hardware issue, and that is a tough one. I ran disc utility, and the HD appears fine.

Thanks for your support.

May 25, 2020 7:30 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

Posting the crash log would be helpful, yes.

Run Diagnostics, too.

I see a firewall package, a system cleaner, and some older software; Microsoft Office is old, as is FUSE.

Flash and Java and Silverlight may well be unnecessary.

Something has been modifying the /etc/hosts file, too.

Recovering from a cleaner can end up requiring a reinstall.

May 25, 2020 6:28 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

The crash will show data, but that data may or may not reference a culprit.

Hardware failures can cause all sorts of software to crash.

Ensure you have current and complete backups.

Download and run EtreCheck and then open a new reply here and then press the button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box large enough to paste the hardware and software configuration report here.

Apps such as add-on anti-malware, add-on anti-virus, and add-on cleaners can cause issues. As can failing hardware.

May 25, 2020 7:59 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

I’d remove techsmith, Perfect, hzsystems, Cycling74, and LittleSnitch per the vendors’ instructions, and I’d simplify the external USB at least temporarily.

Cleaner apps have a history of causing odd corruptions and crashes. Resolving those is usually a re-install, when something goes weird. And add-on cleaners, add-on anti-malware apps, add-on anti-virus apps and similar such have a long history of causing weird.

May 26, 2020 7:07 AM in response to MrHoffman

Mr.Hofman thanks for your support. I don't think removing suggested drivers, would help, as they are tested by my second iMack that is 4 years old and the same High Sierra. Not one crash in 5 years.

But, I have another question. My computer crashed when I ttried to use 1 or two legacy applications. One was DVD movie extractor 2011 release, by MacX DVD. I tried to adjust the settings and after a a few seconds it crashed. Coulkd it be this is the problem? Very weird, as normally a message wouyld pop up, that the program is incompatible.

Thanks.

May 26, 2020 8:27 AM in response to Girshon Rutstein

If you want to try the path you’re on, you’ll get to swap out each app and try it.

The apps I’ve mentioned have kernel extensions or other aspects that can make crashes more likely.

Working on another Mac is interesting, but centrally if it’s the same configuration, version, and hardware.

Easier—though it doesn’t seem so from the onset—is to wipe and reload current apps, and those that are needed.

Old apps and old macOS itself can have latent issues, and a reinstallation usually resolves those cases.

Though if this crash is hardware, that’ll be headed for a repair.

There are many sorts of hardware errors.

Bad memory and bad storage and bad processors can show whole ranges of weird.

May 26, 2020 10:16 AM in response to MrHoffman

You have never met 2 identical machines now you did. I purchased them one year apart, with the same configuration. I cloned one to the other, using super duper. Now I a switched to CCC on the main Mac.

When you do video production work, you can not afford a computer failure in the middle of the project. Plus anytime I get new plugin or a new software, I always test in on one of the machines and then instal onto the main one.

I could use the clone drive to run the video programs in case of failure, but tooooo slow.

and maybe you are correct there could be some differences. That’s why one of them crashed a few times.

May 26, 2020 2:15 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff8010cba220): "a freed zone element has been modified in zone kalloc.32: 
expected     0xdeadbeefdeadbeef 
but found    0xffffff80596ff7e0, 
bits changed 0x2152416f87c2490f, 
at offset 16 of 32 
in element 0xffffff8061a823e0

The above is a classic 3rd party kernel extension panic.

You have the following 3rd party kernel extensions. Pick 1, pick them all. But at least one of these guys is responsible for your kernel panics

com.techsmith.TACC	1.0.2
com.Perfect.Driver.SystemAudioRecorder	1.0.0
com.hzsystems.terminus.driver	4
com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower	1.6.7
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch	4740

it does not matter if you have identical systems. They are not operated in lock step, so they do different things, at different times, have different amounts of RAM being used, cause different bits of software to run at different time, and with different interactions between the software.

One of those kernel extensions is your problem.

The only other bit of information I can get from the panic report is that it happened in the I/O stack, but I do not know if it was file system or network I/O, so that leaves a broad area that could be the cause.

May 26, 2020 2:46 PM in response to Girshon Rutstein

Every time macOS gets a kernel update, they change where things are stored in the kernel, they change the layout of data structures, they change the rules for accessing some data structures.

A kernel extension that does not use approved kernel programming interfaces, which remain stable, can get its fingers burned, and you get to have a kernel panic.

Unless the 3rd party kernel extension is only using approved kernel programming interfaces, or they quickly update their extension and make you aware that it needs to be updated when you get a new kernel, then they are standing still in the middle of an 8 lane highway. They are eventually going to get run-over.

Computer Crash Unexpectadly, have a report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.