Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dictionary app shows wikipedia only and it's not working

I'm using latest catalina as of this date,

tried re-installing os (although this is a fresh install),

entering preferences on the dictionary app (which shows only wikipedia, and using the 3 finger gesture it's not showing up and says "No local dictionary available"),

tried looking for folders containing some dictionary (path doesn't exist),

tried to load from back, but since it's a fresh install there is no back up.

it used to work, don't know what happened.

seems this error is originating from 2012,

any solutions?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 25, 2020 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 5:59 AM

You may only have to scroll down in the Preferences to the bottom and select the desired dictionaries and order them to your liking.

I realize you looked at the preferences, but not sure if you scrolled to the bottom of the list.

This thread might have some other sources for a dictionary if it is not installed: Wikipedia is the only dictionary source a… - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 5:59 AM in response to ariel34e

You may only have to scroll down in the Preferences to the bottom and select the desired dictionaries and order them to your liking.

I realize you looked at the preferences, but not sure if you scrolled to the bottom of the list.

This thread might have some other sources for a dictionary if it is not installed: Wikipedia is the only dictionary source a… - Apple Community

dictionary app shows wikipedia only and it's not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.