Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie export file size. Which one I should use.

My original video file was 216 MB. After importing it to iMovie it became 255 MB. Now I want to export it out of this library and later import it to another new library.

Apple hid export function under the Share Button. After figuring out that Share-File is the same as export in Photos I got THREE choices – Resolution, Quality and Compress. After moving all slides up (1080P-Best ProRes-Better Quality) I got estimate for my export file size 1.88 GB!!! Moving controls all the way down gave me (540P-Low-Faster) 32.6 MB! Pushing Resolution and Compress up and Quality to the middle (1080P-High-Better Quality) brought me back approximately to original size 255 MB.

Expert Rich839 gave on April 3, 2020 complete answer to the size issue - "iMovie unpacks video clips for editing and could export the final movie in a less compressed (thus larger file size) format".

My question is if I haven't done anything with a video file, does it make sense for me to use higher than original instructions or I am as good with getting out of iMovie what I put there? Of course I don't want to loose any quality issues.

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 26, 2020 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 10:07 AM

When you export out at Best Quality (pro res) you are exporting at a much higher bitrate than if you exported out at Mp4. So the pro res would be better quality than the Mp4. It might not even be noticeable except to the most discerning eye.

If you shoot the video in Mp4 it will be fairly highly compressed. iMovie unpacks it for editing purposes. Then if you export it out in the pro res format, you will release a lot of that compression, have more independent frames and fewer referenced frames, and get more detail and less artifacts. If you export it out at Mp4 with the same resolution as the video was recorded it should have the same quality as the Mp4 that you imported into iMovie. I have never been able to tell the difference with pro res versus Mp4 when watching on my computer. I just go with Mp4, as it is probably the most compatible viewing format.

-- Rich

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 10:07 AM in response to Antonio999

When you export out at Best Quality (pro res) you are exporting at a much higher bitrate than if you exported out at Mp4. So the pro res would be better quality than the Mp4. It might not even be noticeable except to the most discerning eye.

If you shoot the video in Mp4 it will be fairly highly compressed. iMovie unpacks it for editing purposes. Then if you export it out in the pro res format, you will release a lot of that compression, have more independent frames and fewer referenced frames, and get more detail and less artifacts. If you export it out at Mp4 with the same resolution as the video was recorded it should have the same quality as the Mp4 that you imported into iMovie. I have never been able to tell the difference with pro res versus Mp4 when watching on my computer. I just go with Mp4, as it is probably the most compatible viewing format.

-- Rich

May 26, 2020 7:41 AM in response to Antonio999

Hi,

You probably will find it satisfactory for most purposes to export at High Quality, Better Quality Compression, and resolution as high or only one level higher than the original resolution.

If you export at Best Quality (pro res) you will get the best quality but it will be a .mov file at 4x the file size. Exports at all other quality settings will give you a smaller .Mp4 file.

If you will be posting on a website perhaps a lower quality small file size would be more satisfactory. On the other hand, if you intend to display the video on a large screen TV you might want the best quality that your TV can play.

What is satisfactory quality is primarily in the eye of the beholder.

-- Rich

May 27, 2020 4:19 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks a lot.

I got it. Indeed ProRes has more detailed picture. "Fewer referenced frames" explained it all.

My problem was with my old SAP instructor wisdom: You can't get out of the system information which is not there. This is a different case– information is there but it is compressed.

So unless I want to make a movie for a big screen Mp4 is the format of my choice.

Bye for now.

iMovie export file size. Which one I should use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.