Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail

My iPad running 13.4.1 in mac mail only looks at my mail on my server and doesn’t download it and when I delete the mail I’m looking at on my iPad it deletes it from my server even when never delete from sever is checked. Why isn’t my mail downloading to my iPad? My iPhone xr (13.4.1) which is newer plus 2 other ipads don’t delete from my server and as far as i can see all the settings are the same and believe me I’ve been through the settings many many times. It’s just my one iPad that deletes my email from the server when never delete is selected. Any help is appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Posted on May 26, 2020 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 6:06 AM

You may need to verify your email client settings. If using IMAP in your settings, email will remain on the server until such time as it is explicitly deleted from the server.

By contrast, if POP3 is selected, then email is potentially deleted from the server as it is downloaded to the local email client.

In summary, the most consistent configuration when using multiple email clients is to ensure that all clients are configured to use IMAP to retrieve email from your Mail server(s)

I hope this is helpful in diagnosing any inconsistencies between your devices and their relative email configuration.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 6:06 AM in response to Etrapper

You may need to verify your email client settings. If using IMAP in your settings, email will remain on the server until such time as it is explicitly deleted from the server.

By contrast, if POP3 is selected, then email is potentially deleted from the server as it is downloaded to the local email client.

In summary, the most consistent configuration when using multiple email clients is to ensure that all clients are configured to use IMAP to retrieve email from your Mail server(s)

I hope this is helpful in diagnosing any inconsistencies between your devices and their relative email configuration.

May 26, 2020 9:02 AM in response to LotusPilot

I'm using IMAP and although I think I've downloaded the emails, it's just looking at the email on my server and not downloading it. I think that's why the mail on my ipad disappears when I download the emails from my desktop (which is set to delete my mail when I download from my server). There is nothing there for it to look at.

I've deleted the account and reinstalled it numerous times switching form IMAP to POP

About 10 or so years ago Apple had a great little mail app I could tag messages and leave reminders with a single click

Every operating system upgrade since then has been a downgrade for mail. It just gets more and more cumbersome and you need to buy other apps like mailtags to make it useful. This shouldn't be a hard fix. All I want is solid download of my emails to my ipad and and not just look at them remotely

mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.