Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Mac software system is needed to automatically save files to iCloud Drive

Hello Apple Community -

I was wondering if anybody out there knows which mac software system is needed to automatically save documents in my iCloud drive folder. For example, I would like "pages' documents to go right into that folder without having to manually add them into iCloud. Is this possible? When did this update come out?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on May 26, 2020 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 11:17 AM

iCloud Drive was first released in Yosemite (10.10) according to System requirements for iCloud - Apple Support

With that option you can save files to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac and they will automatically sync to iCloud.

The Desktop and Documents option was released in Sierra (10.12). Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

With that option, your entire Desktop and Documents folders sync to iCloud.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2020 11:17 AM in response to Hockeylover27

iCloud Drive was first released in Yosemite (10.10) according to System requirements for iCloud - Apple Support

With that option you can save files to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac and they will automatically sync to iCloud.

The Desktop and Documents option was released in Sierra (10.12). Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

With that option, your entire Desktop and Documents folders sync to iCloud.

May 26, 2020 1:47 PM in response to Hockeylover27

mac software system is needed to automatically save documents in my iCloud drive folder.

To be clear... are you looking for software that will move or copy data to your iCloud drive folder for syncing?

In each app, there may be a way to save documents to your iCloud Drive folder from within the app. depending on the app, you may need to specify that location each time, or it may be set by default.

What Mac software system is needed to automatically save files to iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.