Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 iMac - Cant install OS

Mac was running slow and with glitches, I backed up and went to utilities, erased disc and tried to re install. But utilities only offers me sierra (which I think may be part of my problem as I have been running sierra since an update). Even when I agree to have it does not load it. Only option available is restore from time machine, back to where I started. I have tried various discs like tiger and leopard but it tells me these are "not compatible"

Please can someone advise me. Do I have a HD problem?

Posted on May 27, 2020 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 9:05 AM

Not necessarily. But unfortunately that model does not support internet restore.

You will need to get a copy of Snow Leopard retail which looks like this and does not say Upgrade, Dropin, or OEM:to rebuild the system.

If there was enough space, and the drive is healthy, you can boot off the 10.6 installer disc and partition it to have a partition just to have 10.6 using Disk Utility in the installer's menu.

Then you can install 10.6, then 10.6.8 combo update. Login the App Store, and then install 10.11, and then 10.12 from the App Store.

This will only work with the iMac Late 2009 and later models.

Older iMacs can only be upgraded to 10.11.6 using the 10.11.6 combo updater once you get as far as 10.11.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Chazzie100

Not necessarily. But unfortunately that model does not support internet restore.

You will need to get a copy of Snow Leopard retail which looks like this and does not say Upgrade, Dropin, or OEM:to rebuild the system.

If there was enough space, and the drive is healthy, you can boot off the 10.6 installer disc and partition it to have a partition just to have 10.6 using Disk Utility in the installer's menu.

Then you can install 10.6, then 10.6.8 combo update. Login the App Store, and then install 10.11, and then 10.12 from the App Store.

This will only work with the iMac Late 2009 and later models.

Older iMacs can only be upgraded to 10.11.6 using the 10.11.6 combo updater once you get as far as 10.11.

2009 iMac - Cant install OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.