Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On iPadOS 13 URLs in mail open some sort of mini browser but not Safari. How can I adjust this behavior?

On iPadOS 13 URLs in mail open some sort of mini browser but not Safari. How can I adjust this behavior?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 27, 2020 6:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 10:44 PM

In the process of searching this forum and elsewhere for an answer, I was able to answer my own question.

The “mini browser” is the [Safari?] preview function of Mail. I didn’t know it existed before OS 13.5 To open a URL.in the full Safari browser, you must press and hold the link In mail and then chose an action from a menu which appears. Otherwise you see a webpage preview in a column. This preview can be converted to half- and then full-screen, if you know how. As the President always says, “Who knew?“

This seems to be a place where Apple has added new simple, unexpected functions and hidden the old familiar simple functions behind a haptic command (press-and-hold) in a more complex menu. My intuition would have been to keep the familiar as first choice and to have hidden the new under the new menu with a new method of access..

After 30+ years of using Apples, I wasn’t expecting to have to RTFM for this iOS / ipad OS upgrade!

Perhaps someone else can learn from my frustration!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2020 10:44 PM in response to ZintainUSA

In the process of searching this forum and elsewhere for an answer, I was able to answer my own question.

The “mini browser” is the [Safari?] preview function of Mail. I didn’t know it existed before OS 13.5 To open a URL.in the full Safari browser, you must press and hold the link In mail and then chose an action from a menu which appears. Otherwise you see a webpage preview in a column. This preview can be converted to half- and then full-screen, if you know how. As the President always says, “Who knew?“

This seems to be a place where Apple has added new simple, unexpected functions and hidden the old familiar simple functions behind a haptic command (press-and-hold) in a more complex menu. My intuition would have been to keep the familiar as first choice and to have hidden the new under the new menu with a new method of access..

After 30+ years of using Apples, I wasn’t expecting to have to RTFM for this iOS / ipad OS upgrade!

Perhaps someone else can learn from my frustration!

May 28, 2020 6:45 AM in response to James Dwyer

You evidently have a Slide-Over view enabled, this being a feature of iPadOS.

The easiest way to switch from Slide Over to a full-screen window is to touch-and-hold the small drag-bar at the top of the Slide Over Window, drag to the top-centre of the screen - then release; this window will become full screen.

Here is an Apple video that demonstrates use of Slide Over:

https://youtu.be/ITzy5J3j5Is

... and the corresponding page from the online version of the iPad User Guide for iPadOS:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipadfe7c65e9/ipados

... and a further help page that describes many associated features of iPad multi-tasking:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207582

I hope this information os helpful is resolving your immediate question - and in providing useful references to significant functionality.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.