Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email links try to open in apple mail on iPhone

I have gmail set as my default browser on my phone but when I click on an email link in Safari, my iPhone tries to open apple mail (which I don’t want and don’t have!)

I want my gmail to open when I click on an email link. How can I make this happen??

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 11:27 AM

Try following these steps from Apple to change the default email app for Mac.

Change the default email app

1. Open the Mail app.
  2. From the menu bar, choose Mail > Settings (or Preferences).
  3. Click General.
  4. Choose an email app from the “Default email reader” pop-up menu.
    • If you don't see your email app in the menu, choose Select from the menu, then select your email app from the file dialog that opens.
    • If you're using webmail instead of an email app, you can choose a web browser in this step, but the browser might not open webmail automatically when you click email links. Some third-party browsers and webmail services might have their own settings to change this behavior.
    • You might be asked to add an email account before you can change the setting in Mail. If you don't want to do that, open the other email app and check its settings for a similar way to set the default email reader. 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2023 11:27 AM in response to ckg1971

Try following these steps from Apple to change the default email app for Mac.

Change the default email app

1. Open the Mail app.
  2. From the menu bar, choose Mail > Settings (or Preferences).
  3. Click General.
  4. Choose an email app from the “Default email reader” pop-up menu.
    • If you don't see your email app in the menu, choose Select from the menu, then select your email app from the file dialog that opens.
    • If you're using webmail instead of an email app, you can choose a web browser in this step, but the browser might not open webmail automatically when you click email links. Some third-party browsers and webmail services might have their own settings to change this behavior.
    • You might be asked to add an email account before you can change the setting in Mail. If you don't want to do that, open the other email app and check its settings for a similar way to set the default email reader. 

Email links try to open in apple mail on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.