Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library not transferred to new iMac

I purchased a new iMac running Catalina OS 10.15.4 and performed a migration of my files from an older iMac running Hi Sierra 10.13.6 with an iTunes library of hundreds of my own CDs downloaded into it. However, now with iTunes no longer being available in Catalina, none of my music was transferred to the new Music app on my new iMac.

I have searched and read numerous articles trying to find a way to fix this, and I have seen everything from having to subscribe to Apple Music and/or iTunes match to having to sync with iCloud over all my devices, etc., etc.

So is there an easy way to get my iTunes library on my new iMac? I just want to listen to my music.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 28, 2020 1:23 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 29, 2020 11:14 AM in response to seadub64

Hi seadub64,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. I see from your post that you are having trouble getting your iTunes library to open in the Music application. I'd like to help you resolve this issue.

This article should help you open your iTunes library in the Music app

Switch libraries with the Music app or Apple TV app in macOS Catalina

Specifically under:

"Switch to another iTunes library

1. Hold down the Option key, then open the Music app or Apple TV app.
  2. In the window that appears, click Choose Library.
  3. Select a library, then click Choose."

The library you are selecting will be the iTunes library that you transferred from your old machine.

Here is another article with more information that you may find helpful too.

What happened to iTunes?

Have a great day!

Jun 16, 2020 7:06 AM in response to turingtest2

I don't believe the Music app was open when pasting the iTunes folder to the Music folder, but it didn't work.

Also, I tried several times to choose the "iTunes Library.itl" file, as well as a file by the name of "Music Library" that existed in the Music folder on the new iMac, but it didn't work, either.

Up to that point I thought I had tried everything with no success, so I tried to add the library by going into the Music app's File menu and select Import and open the iTunes Music folder. That imported all of my music to the Music app and it seemed to be working fine at the time.

However, upon attempting to re-open the Music app after turning on the computer for the first time since importing the iTunes Music Folder, a message that said it was loading the music library came up and the app didn't open until it completed. So I quit the app and re-opened the Music app to see if the message appeared again and it did not. As far as I can tell, it seems to be working fine right now.

Was this not an acceptable method for getting my iTunes Music from my old iMac to the Music app on the new one?

Jun 16, 2020 5:12 AM in response to seadub64

That is how it is supposed to work. Was iTunes closed when you were copying the library folder? Perhaps copy over the iTunes Library.itl file once more having checked that it opens and closes OK on the old system.

It is unlikely to be the problem but you could also see Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community just in case it is somehow permissions related.

tt2

Jun 15, 2020 4:43 PM in response to turingtest2

I have tried everything in the "Move your iTunes library to a new computer" and nothing's worked.

Specifically, I copied the iTunes folder from my previous iMac and pasted it to an external drive. I then copied and pasted the iTunes folder from the external drive into the new iMac's Music folder.

I then opened the Music app while holding down the Option key and selected "Choose Library..." in the Choose Music Library window that opened.

From there I selected the "iTunes Library.itl" from the iTunes folder as instructed and received the following message:

"iTunes Library.itl" does not appear to be a valid library. Please choose a different library.

Where to from here?

Jun 16, 2020 8:10 AM in response to seadub64

seadub64 wrote:

I don't believe the Music app was open when pasting the iTunes folder to the Music folder, but it didn't work.

I was talking about iTunes being closed on the old computer while you were copying its library to the external drive for transfer. Copying a file in use could potentially have caused the invalid library error. I don't know for sure why you had a hiccup using this method, but since the library appears to be working properly now I don't think it is worth losing sleep over it.

tt2

iTunes library not transferred to new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.