Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX not importing video and not rendering or sharing anything previously imported.

Hi, It's been a few months since using FCPX a little.

I had loaded some tape based video a few months ago, this went well. Yesterday I was not able to load any video from my tape based camera.

The camera is recognised when I connect it and turn it on.

When I click "Import" nothing happens.

I tried to import video from the FaceTime camera in FCPX and it behaved exactly the same as with the tape based camera, nothing happens.

I switched to iMovie and the camera is recognised and it does import video. The FaceTime camera also imports video in iMovie.

I do not want to import via iMovie because it can only transfer projects to FCPX and not individual clips.

I cannot get anything to render in FCPX either automatically or manually. The project consists of one 13 minute DV clip with no effects or transitions of any kind.

I cannot get FCPX to export to Youtube or Facebook .... that allI have tried. I have looked at the background tasks once I attempt to render or export and these activities remain at 0% for hours literally. I have no other applications open or running.

The video libraries are stored on an external drive which appears to be working fine.

Any help would be appreciated please.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 28, 2020 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 1:41 AM

Hi Luis,

Having something to render when surely not required was just another of the mysteries. It was definitely showing all the little white dots above the clip in the timeline.

My FCPX is version is 10.4.8.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttt now the good news , I am certain I found the problem after trying some long shots. I clicked on "Get Info" for the external drive and noticed a check box at the very bottom , , it's in very small print, "Ignore ownership of this volume".

This check box was checked so I unchecked it. FCPX immediately functioned as it should including importing and exporting video.

The odd thing associated with this is in Sharing and Permissions the Name "wheel" used to be "Staff" and it seemed to change mysteriously.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 1:41 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

Having something to render when surely not required was just another of the mysteries. It was definitely showing all the little white dots above the clip in the timeline.

My FCPX is version is 10.4.8.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttt now the good news , I am certain I found the problem after trying some long shots. I clicked on "Get Info" for the external drive and noticed a check box at the very bottom , , it's in very small print, "Ignore ownership of this volume".

This check box was checked so I unchecked it. FCPX immediately functioned as it should including importing and exporting video.

The odd thing associated with this is in Sharing and Permissions the Name "wheel" used to be "Staff" and it seemed to change mysteriously.

May 30, 2020 9:50 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

I only have a tape based (video) camera so I can't compare with memory card unfortunately. The camera , Sony PDX10P , has previously worked fine with over 100 tapes loading footage into the same external drive for FCPX. I know I'm overdue for a new camera but I waiting to see if Apple introduce a new Mac and see what is available in drones .......

I did try moving an event from iMovie to FCPX but the option did not seem available. I tried moving the same iMovie event as a project and it did not move anything for 3 hours , progress was at 0%.

May 29, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

In addition to what Tom said: whenever something is not right, delete the application's preferences.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences.

The application will start in a default state, and open an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

May 30, 2020 2:48 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,  

The external drive is a 7200RPM LaCie 5TB with 3.28TB available for use.  

The format is MacOS Extended (Journaled), on set up I had dedicated the whole thing to Mac as I have no intention to connect it to a PC.  

It is connected with a USB3 cable.

I went to System Preferences and added FCPX into Full Disc Access , there was nothing with Full Disc Access and as of now FCPX is the only thing there.

May 30, 2020 3:00 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

I followed the steps you provided and FCPX started as you said it would.

I attempted an export of a short simple clip to Youtube and it hesitantly went through. By hesitantly I mean nothing showed up in Background Tasks for about 30 seconds , then it showed the task as 50% complete for about 2 minutes and then it completed successfully.

Unfortunately I still cannot import into FCPX as yet.

Am I looking at re-installing FCPX ?

May 31, 2020 1:10 AM in response to P Dannenberg

Probably the best way of removing problems is to completely erase your Mac and reinstall everything.

This puts your Mac back to its "as new" condition and gets rid of all the dross that accumulates over the years.

The whole process takes a few hours but you don't have to be present all the time as the computer can be left to do the work.

Needless to say, YOU MUST BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU START.

I tend to do it every couple of years.

May 31, 2020 3:50 AM in response to P Dannenberg

Here is something that I don't understand:

If you only have a DV clip in the timeline, with no effects or transitions, there would be nothing to render.

I cannot get anything to render in FCPX either automatically or manually. The project consists of one 13 minute DV clip with no effects or transitions of any kind.

Regarding the Etrecheck report, I do not see anything standing out. You probably don't need the LaCie software, drive manufacturer's software is not needed and often cause issues. You could try uninstalling it, but I doubt in this case it was the cause.

What version of FCP X? I don't think you mentioned that...

FCPX not importing video and not rendering or sharing anything previously imported.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.