Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet via Belkin Thunderbolt Express

Wifi is working but Ethernet via Belkin Thunderbolt Express has a problem. In 'Network' I selected Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Thunderbolt dock), which is marked 'orange' and 'Connected' but with message "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

Broadcom is configured>IPv4>Using DHCP

I selected Advance>Renew DHCP lease>tried with and without entering DHCP Client ID>but no change.

MacBook Pro late 2011, High Sierra 10.13.6, Belkin Thunderbolt Express F4U055

Any suggestions please.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 29, 2020 4:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 1:38 AM

Culprit was in the AC circuit. (Powerline extender wasn't working). Have now connected with 15m ethernet cable directly between Modem and MBP and also Modem and Belkin dock. Both situations work perfectly. Thanks for your help and advice.

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 1, 2020 6:29 AM in response to BebopLondon

Good work, it could be the AC circuit, any changes as to what is plugged in on that circuit?

You could retrieve it fromTime Machine backup, or just make a new one...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Jun 1, 2020 3:19 AM in response to BDAqua

Sorry for delay, have been trying to understand the problem. I have disconnected everything and now think that the culprit may be the Powerline extender. I plugged into the modem directly with just the MacBook Pro and can get ethernet, same with Belkin dock, but not in studio via Powerline extender. I have two other rooms using Powerline extender for TV and one in garden for security. All three work fine. I have swapped extenders to see if it is this particular extender but it is not. So it seems the computer suddenly will not work with an extender. I am now considering just using a retractable 15m ethernet cable (if I can find one) directly linking modem and MBP and by-passing Belkin dock.

System report>Network>Ethernet

Ethernet:

Type: Ethernet

Hardware: Ethernet

BSD Device Name: en0

IPv4 Addresses: 169.254.219.47

IPv4:

AdditionalRoutes:

DestinationAddress: 169.254.219.47

SubnetMask: 255.255.255.255

Addresses: 169.254.219.47

Configuration Method: DHCP

ConfirmedInterfaceName: en0

Interface Name: en0

Subnet Masks: 255.255.0.0

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

DNS:

Server Addresses: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 3c:07:54:41:0f:09

Media Options: Full Duplex, Flow Control

Media Subtype: 100baseTX

Proxies:

Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Service Order: 0

Also, While in 'Network', trying to make a new location, I seem to have lost the default 'Automatic' . Can I retrieve this?

Any suggestions v welcome. Thanks.

Ethernet via Belkin Thunderbolt Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.