Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared iCloud drive files are downloading instead of simply launching

The new iCloud drive file/folder sharing feature does not work as expected for me. I have used "Add People" to share both files and folders between multiple Apple IDs and those individuals are able to access the items using either the files app or via web interface (on Windows PC or on iMac). Everyone has permission to make changes. However, when attempting to open the files for editing, instead of just launching via the appropriate application (in my case, this is MS Excel), a COPY of the file is downloaded to the downloads folder. I want everyone with access to OPEN the native file so that collaboration can occur. Instead, the result I see is multiple copies of the file spread out over multiple users machines. Plus, after the first download, the OS starts adding a "-1", "-2", "-3", etc. extension to the filename so each succeeding download is unique. This is cloning, not sharing. Am I missing something in the setup or doing something wrong?

Posted on May 29, 2020 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2020 7:02 AM

I don't believe iCloud can tie in to collaboration integration with non Apple files. If you did this with a Apple Numbers file, I think you'll see what you expect. Download, edit and then upload is likely all you can achieve with a 3rd party app.

Microsoft does not seem to support using iCloud to collaborate like you expect. They advocate their own sharing platforms like OneDrive or Sharepoint.

See >> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-your-excel-workbook-with-others-8d8a52bb-03c3-4933-ab6c-330aabf1e589

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2020 7:02 AM in response to TENNESSINE

I don't believe iCloud can tie in to collaboration integration with non Apple files. If you did this with a Apple Numbers file, I think you'll see what you expect. Download, edit and then upload is likely all you can achieve with a 3rd party app.

Microsoft does not seem to support using iCloud to collaborate like you expect. They advocate their own sharing platforms like OneDrive or Sharepoint.

See >> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/share-your-excel-workbook-with-others-8d8a52bb-03c3-4933-ab6c-330aabf1e589

Shared iCloud drive files are downloading instead of simply launching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.