Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot load adjustments for this image. Catalina 10.15.4

Hi there is a thread on this message "Photos cannot load adjustments for this image." which also prevents you from editing or exporting the photo from Photos.

However, the thread seemed to never solve this problem and people gave up due to Apples lack of response to the issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250771558

THIS PROBLEM STILL EXISTS IN CATALINA 10.15.4

I would like to know if anyone or even if Apple has tried this prhttps://softwaretested.com/mac/how-to-fix-the-photos-cannot-load-adjustments-for-this-image-error/before

before I waste even more time on trying to fix this problem.

Or is there a better way to address this ongoing problem?

Posted on May 29, 2020 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 6:20 PM

I just saw a photo from 2017 that I uploaded and when I tried to share it I got an error message. I tried to export it and got another error message. I shut down photos and restarted it not the photo is gone from photos. I'm on Catlina 10.15.4. I'm going to begin exporting every photo I have out of photos to back up somewhere else. I can't believe I can trust Apple to keep my photos safe any more. This photo is not the only one where the thumbnail showed but photos could not find the original file. It may be time to go back to external drives and google cloud to have a safe off site backup of my photos. :-(

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 6:20 PM in response to GAlvarez

I just saw a photo from 2017 that I uploaded and when I tried to share it I got an error message. I tried to export it and got another error message. I shut down photos and restarted it not the photo is gone from photos. I'm on Catlina 10.15.4. I'm going to begin exporting every photo I have out of photos to back up somewhere else. I can't believe I can trust Apple to keep my photos safe any more. This photo is not the only one where the thumbnail showed but photos could not find the original file. It may be time to go back to external drives and google cloud to have a safe off site backup of my photos. :-(

Jun 30, 2020 10:06 PM in response to GAlvarez

It is the way how the migration from iPhoto or Aperture to Photos is supposed to work. If the photos have adjustments applied in Aperture or iPhoto, when we migrate the library, the adjusted version will be migrated as preview images of the adjusted versions. It is not possible to add further adjustments to these images. We have to discard the old edits before we can edit the image again. It is not a bug, but an inconvenient feature. It is described in this support document: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

Photos and movies migrate without changes. Your images migrate with the adjustments and filters that you applied in iPhoto. You can't change the adjustments in Photos, but you can revert to the original image.

Jun 30, 2020 8:11 AM in response to GAlvarez

I have the same problem. In the last two months, I've had several calls with Apple Support who took diagnostic logs, etc from my Mac. No resolution.

I have figured out the problem only exists on photos that I've edited with a 3rd party app (PSE) from within iPhoto or Photos. I'm pretty sure that any that I edited before importing are fine.

In all cases, I can revert to the unedited original, but that's going to affect hundreds of photos.

It's too bad Apple hasn't come up with a fix, because it puts to much of my library at risk.

Jul 1, 2020 8:36 AM in response to léonie

No, the bug is that Photos can not locate the file, export the photo, or share it. Photos responds with a message that the file can not be found. "The operation couldn’t be completed. (PHResourceDownloadRequestErrorDomain error 0.)"

The only viewable image is actually the thumbnail, which of course loses resolution significantly when expanded.

However, if you revert to the original, the file will be restored, with none of the edits intact. It is then exportable and shareable.

Not being able to edit further would be an inconvenience. Not being able to view the full resolution photo or export and share the photo at all is a bug.

Jul 1, 2020 10:42 AM in response to pshill84

pshill84 wrote:

No, the bug is that Photos can not locate the file, export the photo, or share it. Photos responds with a message that the file can not be found. "The operation couldn’t be completed. (PHResourceDownloadRequestErrorDomain error 0.)"

The only viewable image is actually the thumbnail, which of course loses resolution significantly when expanded.
However, if you revert to the original, the file will be restored, with none of the edits intact. It is then exportable and shareable.

Not being able to edit further would be an inconvenience. Not being able to view the full resolution photo or export and share the photo at all is a bug.

I have only been commenting on the fact, that the "revert to original" is necessary and the way Photos is working with photos that have been edited in iPhoto. This inconvenience is intentional by design and is the way how the migration from iPhoto is working, documented by Apple.

It should not happen for photos that have been edited in Photos for Mac, with or without third-party editors. It might be a bug in Photos, but is more likely a bug or an incompatibility of certain third-party editors, that need updating to be fully compatible with Photos on Catalina.

It could also be the result of a damaged Photos Library, if the library is on an incompatible volume with an incompatible file system format (for example a case-sensitive volume or an encrypted volume, a NAS), or the library has been damaged by aggressive cleaning applications when removing duplicates.

For a short time I had seen this error message, when I had edited photos on my iPhone with iOS 13. I had to revert the iPhone photos to the original before I could edit them in Photos 5 on Catalina. This has been very surprising, because Photos iOS edits used to be compatible with Photos for Mac.

Photos cannot load adjustments for this image. Catalina 10.15.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.