Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail flagged messages are inaccurate

In Mac Mail, I constantly have 2 messages that are considered flagged with the green flag, even though when clicking on the Green Flagged inbox in the sidebar, there are no emails in that box. I just added one, and it shows up, but again, when clicking on it, it shows 1 email, but right above, it shows three in total in the inbox, but those aren't reflect.

In the screenshot, top circle shows what Mac Mail is saying how many are there. Then in the inbox, you can see that only one is actually there.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 29, 2020 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 9:14 AM

I have definitely tried computer restarts and things like that. I did find a way to fix it.

I went to Finder. Then on the toolbar, went to Go > Go To Folder.

I then typed in the path: ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData

I moved the three, non-tmp, files that begin with the word Envelope (the attached three).

Since all of my email was IMAP, next time I opened Mac Mail, it force-rebuilt my Mailboxes, as the Rebuild option with the Mac Mail toolbar was not working. Mac Mail then recreated those Envelope files, and the files started to sync and it removed the extra non-flagged items.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 9:14 AM in response to i_rina

I have definitely tried computer restarts and things like that. I did find a way to fix it.

I went to Finder. Then on the toolbar, went to Go > Go To Folder.

I then typed in the path: ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData

I moved the three, non-tmp, files that begin with the word Envelope (the attached three).

Since all of my email was IMAP, next time I opened Mac Mail, it force-rebuilt my Mailboxes, as the Rebuild option with the Mac Mail toolbar was not working. Mac Mail then recreated those Envelope files, and the files started to sync and it removed the extra non-flagged items.

Mac Mail flagged messages are inaccurate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.