Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone shows up when plugged in but no sound

Has anyone else had this problem? Whenever I plug my headphones in, it shows that they are plugged in but there is no sound coming out. All I hear is a very faint static. It isn’t the headphones, though. I tried multiple headphones and all of them are doing the same thing. If it helps, I just updated to 10.15.5 so it may be an issue with the update?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 30, 2020 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 10:41 AM

Try the following: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies

May 30, 2020 11:20 AM in response to JoshRivera15

JoshRivera15 Said:

"Headphone shows up when plugged in but no sound: Has anyone else had this problem? Whenever I plug my headphones in, it shows that they are plugged in but there is no sound coming out. All I hear is a very faint static. It isn’t the headphones, though. I tried multiple headphones and all of them are doing the same thing. If it helps, I just updated to 10.15.5 so it may be an issue with the update?"

------

Volume Output:

I had this issue. I had to select the headphone as the default output. But, being you've already tried selecting the device, consider the following...

Turn up the volume on...

1. The Computer
  2. The Application
  3. The Headphones

Headphone shows up when plugged in but no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.