Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable USB from "InstallMacOSX.dmg"

How do I create a bootable USB from the InstallMacOSX.dmg file downloaded from Apple's support page (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969) ?

I'm trying to create a bootable USB for macOS High Sierra in order to install on a late 2009 iMac. I am currently running macOS Catalina on my 2019 iMac.

Thank you!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 31, 2020 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 11:01 AM

Oh dear you need to open the InstallMacOSX.dmg (double-click on it) it will open to the InstallMacOSX.pkg.

Double-click on the InstallMacOSX.pkg and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but creates the Install OS X El Capitan.app in your Downloads folder. Use that to create the bootable USB.

One thing to note is that in order for the creation of the Install OS X El Capitan.app to work you must perform the procedure from InstallMacOSX.pkg to Install OS X El Capitan.app on a mac that is either running El Capitan or was/ is capable of running

El Capitan. Therefore if you try this on a mac that came preinstalled with an OS newer than El Capitan you will get an error.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2020 11:01 AM in response to dialabrain

Oh dear you need to open the InstallMacOSX.dmg (double-click on it) it will open to the InstallMacOSX.pkg.

Double-click on the InstallMacOSX.pkg and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but creates the Install OS X El Capitan.app in your Downloads folder. Use that to create the bootable USB.

One thing to note is that in order for the creation of the Install OS X El Capitan.app to work you must perform the procedure from InstallMacOSX.pkg to Install OS X El Capitan.app on a mac that is either running El Capitan or was/ is capable of running

El Capitan. Therefore if you try this on a mac that came preinstalled with an OS newer than El Capitan you will get an error.

May 31, 2020 10:52 AM in response to bmsewell

Install MacOSX.dmg contains the files to install Mac OS X El Capitan. Do you want to install El Capitan.

If you want to download High Sierra then your link connects you to the App Store High Sierra page

it should say Get or Download, this will download the Install macOS High Sierra.app to your Downloads folder.

Follow the link in Dialabrains reply to create a bootable USB installer.

Bootable USB from "InstallMacOSX.dmg"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.