Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need the MacOS Sierra command line for creating a bootable USB via Terminal

Good evening Apple Support Community,

I need direction(s)/advise for procuring the command line code to create a bootable MacOS Sierra USB via Terminal. I did try modifying the MacOS High Sierra command line in Text Edit.

No luck........

Thank you kindly,

Leonard1956

Not that it matters ......currently my working device is a MacPro 2012.

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 4:47 PM

Thanks to Eau Rouge…

OS Sierra on an external drive - Apple Community

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

press return

enter your password

press return

6 replies

Mar 11, 2023 9:13 AM in response to myusername34

See f this helps...

Sierra won’t install to SSD, thanks to Eau Rouge…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251358124?answerId=252770772022#252770772022

Open Terminal (Applications/ Utilities) now copy and paste this command into the Terminal window,

sudo plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string "12.6.03" /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Info.plist

press return

enter your password

press return

Now paste in the createinstallmedia command for Sierra where MyVolume can be replaced with the name of your USB stick

If your USB name has more than one word separated by spaces you would need to type it in as

/The\ USB\ Name

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

press return 

follow the prompts

Mar 11, 2023 8:59 AM in response to leonard1956

everytime I run the command to create the bootable USB, I get the error: /Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid mount point. When I format the USB drive, using the Apple instructions, I chose 'MyVolume' as the name of the volume, so the name is correct. Why does this simple task need to be so freaking complicated. I've wasted hours and hours an hours already, trying to follow Apple's instructions to re-install the OS on my 2014 Mini after disk failure. I installed yosemite, but from that, I can't update to Monterey. So I am trying to install Sierra, which apparently can then be updated to Monterey, but that fails too. Apple, REALLY!!!! do you really have to make life **** for your customers!!!!

Lexs-Mac-mini:volumes Lex$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid volume mount point.

and yet:

Lexs-Mac-mini:/ Lex$ cd volumes

Lexs-Mac-mini:volumes Lex$ ls

MyMacOS MyVolume

Lexs-Mac-mini:volumes Lex$ 

Lexs-Mac-mini:volumes Lex$ ls -all

total 8

drwxrwxrwt@ 4 root admin  136 Mar 11 09:45 .

drwxr-xr-x 30 root wheel 1088 Mar 10 13:47 ..

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root admin   1 Mar 11 08:27 MyMacOS -> /

drwxrwxr-x  7 Lex  staff  306 Mar 11 09:45 MyVolume

Lexs-Mac-mini:volumes Lex$ 

Need the MacOS Sierra command line for creating a bootable USB via Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.