Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will it finally be possible to send the sound from an AirPlay TV to the HomePod

Hi,

I have a new tv with AirPlay - great device.

But the TV cannot send audio to my HomePod via AirPlay.

Why not?

Because my HomePod isn't a smart speaker? What a feeble argument.

Apple should integrate all devices with all functions, shouldn't they?

Apple should offer a better overall performance.

Regards

Jochen

OLED55C98LB,

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 4:44 AM

the limitation is not with the homepod it's with the app in the tv, the new tv with airplay is a recipient of airplay from a computer or iphone or ipads and the likes, in that respect the tv play the same role as the homepod does, so if the tv acted the role of a airplay sender like computers and ios devices it would be transparent for the homepod it was a tv at all.

if apple do not license the sender part of airplay to tv's I don't know really

suppose you can use their feedback channel to request more features to their app on supporting smart tv's

Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 4:44 AM in response to jochen241

the limitation is not with the homepod it's with the app in the tv, the new tv with airplay is a recipient of airplay from a computer or iphone or ipads and the likes, in that respect the tv play the same role as the homepod does, so if the tv acted the role of a airplay sender like computers and ios devices it would be transparent for the homepod it was a tv at all.

if apple do not license the sender part of airplay to tv's I don't know really

suppose you can use their feedback channel to request more features to their app on supporting smart tv's

Product Feedback - Apple

Jun 7, 2020 1:00 AM in response to Michael Paine

Michael, thanks for your post.

I was thinking about an Apple TV.... but I can do the same via iPhone / iMac as well, more or less.

From my point of view this contradicts the apple mission statement of enthusiasm when using their products.

Furthermore, that doesn't solve the problem with the publicly available tv channels via cable (directed connection with the smart TV).

My Feedback to Apple:

....for my enjoyment of apple products @home it would be excellent if a TV with AirPlay could act as a sender. The idea is to lift up the HomePod from a sounddevice (receiver) for iPad iPhone iMac to an extremely valuable sound system for all AirPlay devices. 

Furthermore, if we think ahead, a record player, DAB radio and many other audio senders (devices) can also use the HomePod. 

My idea is to take the enthusiasm for the HomePod to a new level.

That would be really great.    

When will it finally be possible to send the sound from an AirPlay TV to the HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.