You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Water Damage Repair Cost

I know accidental water damage is not covered under Apple's 1 year limited warranty. But I'm trying to find out the repair cost for a 2020 MacBook Air. From Apple, is it charged a flat fee for this kind of repair (if so how much), or will it be a case by case repair cost based on what was damaged (in this latter case do I get a quote after they find out what the repair cost is going to be)?

Thank you. It's unfortunate this happened, and what makes it worse, I cannot bring it in to an Apple store to speak to someone and to get it looked at... stores are still closed due to the coronavirus.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 8:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 4:25 PM

It's not possible for anyone on this site to provide a definitive answer. Contact Support and click through the options that lead to speaking with an Apple representative, who can arrange for a box to be sent to you so that you can send it to them for a firm repair price quote.

6 replies

Jun 1, 2020 7:37 PM in response to lei192

Apple did offer such a flat rate repair service at one time. It became known as a "depot repair" because someone said that's what they heard. However, Apple never officially discussed it and I haven't heard of that option for quite a while.

For all I know it still exists, and you might as well ask about it, but from anecdotal experience I believe you're in the ballpark at $500-$600. Much more than that and I agree, it's not worth it.

Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised, but if it turns out to be prohibitively expensive you can always consult an "unapproved" repair shop. They're usually willing to accept more risk than Apple. Just be sure to find one that's very knowledgeable about Macs in particular. PC-centric repair shops will just ruin whatever's left of your Mac.

Jun 12, 2020 9:20 AM in response to lei192

I wanted report the result of this as a closure to benefit people who may have future inquiries.

In the past week or so, the water damaged 2020 MBA was sent to Apple for an evaluation and repair quote. It came back with a $800+ repair estimate. With that, it was a no. So it is making its way coming back from Apple. An alternative approach will be attempted.

John, your replies in this thread were very helpful - people like you are great assets to this community, thank you!

Jun 1, 2020 6:50 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you John. Sounds like between a flat fee repair cost and an inspection based quote, you are implying the latter. That information is helpful.

Another reason I posted the question to the community here vs directly called apple, was wanting to hear from people who had similar experiences. Such as "they charged a flat rate price of $XX", or "I was told the repair quote was $YYY so I declined and bought a new one", etc. Part of me is already giving up... thinking it's gonna be a significant repair cost... with an entry level MacBook Air costing new at $999 it's probably not worth it for a repair. It's very new (bought in May 2020) so there is no data stored locally on the laptop worths recovering. If it costs more than $500-600 to repair, I can probably sell it on eBay as parts only, buy a new MBA, and ends up break even. Anyone has any experience, comments along this line, please share as well. Thanks.

At the end of the day, it's just a laptop, not the end of the world (even the pandemic is not the end to the world - it will go away - hopefully sooner than later), but I wanted to hear people's experiences, to know my options, and to make an educated decision.

Appreciated.

Jun 2, 2020 7:26 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you. That was helpful. I tried to call today in between my meetings but did not go through. Will find another time to try in the next couple of days. I was looking at Apple Service Centers (Apple Stores are all closed currently)... the closest is 60+ miles away. It seems mailing it to Apple is probably the only way.

MacBook Air Water Damage Repair Cost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.