Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A Way to stop local snapshot but keep time machine auto back ups switched on

Hey there,

Is there away to stop Time Machine local snap shots eating up disk space on my Mac HD but also keep Time Machine on auto back up. The snap shots really distorts how much disk space I have left and I am constantly at war with the annoying thing. Turning it off and on doesn't always work and when it does it is not quick enough. I'm now inclined to leave auto back ups turned off permanently the making the whole point of Time Machine null and void. What's the best solution to keep complete control of my disk space and have time machine doing it's back up thing. For instance About this Mac says 376 GB available but Finder is saying only 72Gb. (Bin is empty). Been like that all afternoon and auto back up is off. Inaccuracy with numbers is not something I expect from a computer. Using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 on iMac Pro.

I hope the solution is super obvious. Thank you.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 9:39 AM

How local snapshots use storage space

You don't need to think about how much storage space local snapshots are using, because they don't use space needed for tasks like downloading files, copying files, or installing new software. Your Mac counts the space used by snapshots as available storage. Even so, Time Machine stores snapshots only on disks that have plenty of free space, and it automatically deletes snapshots as they age or as space is needed for other things.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 9:39 AM in response to lord_smiley

How local snapshots use storage space

You don't need to think about how much storage space local snapshots are using, because they don't use space needed for tasks like downloading files, copying files, or installing new software. Your Mac counts the space used by snapshots as available storage. Even so, Time Machine stores snapshots only on disks that have plenty of free space, and it automatically deletes snapshots as they age or as space is needed for other things.

A Way to stop local snapshot but keep time machine auto back ups switched on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.