Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to free up space taken up by local Time Machine snapshots?

See the discrepancy in storage available values. I use Time Machine, and wonder if the "local snapshots" are taking up space in the Disk Utility reading, but not being shown in the upper reading because macOS automatically deletes old snapshots as space is needed?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 4:41 AM

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2022 4:41 AM in response to groundskeeper_3357

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Apr 8, 2022 3:35 AM in response to groundskeeper_3357

I use sometimes a shell script I made to manually delete Time Machine snaphosts. Here's the script:

#!/bin/bash
for x in $(tmutil listlocalsnapshots /)
do
sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots $(cut -d '.' -f 4 <<<"$x")
done

It's then invoked in Terminal with:

sh script.sh

Where script.sh is the script's name. The sudo password is requested.

Apr 8, 2022 10:30 AM in response to groundskeeper_3357

Please correct me if I am wrong, but are you saving your Time Machine backups on the computer's hard drive? If so, stop and consider this. When your hard drive fails, as all drives eventually do, you will loose EVERYTHING. Backups should always be saved to an external source such as an external disk or a cloud backup service. Note - this does nor include iCloud. It is not a backup service. It is for cross platform sharing of files.

How to free up space taken up by local Time Machine snapshots?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.