Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 2.0 Webcam on New Mac Mini

I have a 1 week old Mac mini, everything is working perfectly but I cannot get the Webcam to work through the USB 3.0 port. I have (2) Webcam USB 2.0 camera's and neither will work. They do not get recognized as a USB device and do not show up in any application. Does the Mac mini require a USB 3.0 camera or am I missing something.

BTW, my old Mac mini works fine with both cameras.

If you have run into this, please let me know how you solved it.

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 10:49 AM

Should not but required to be usb3, I connected some old random webcam i purchased for my wife once that been on the floor behind the tv for years unused, however it works as primary mic for the Mac mini and it works in photo booth but it does not work with FaceTime, would assume its usb1.1 would assume all macOS supporting usb2 cams works too. Come to think of it I haven’t come across webcams which are usb3 required

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 10:49 AM in response to gary174

Should not but required to be usb3, I connected some old random webcam i purchased for my wife once that been on the floor behind the tv for years unused, however it works as primary mic for the Mac mini and it works in photo booth but it does not work with FaceTime, would assume its usb1.1 would assume all macOS supporting usb2 cams works too. Come to think of it I haven’t come across webcams which are usb3 required

Jun 1, 2020 12:20 PM in response to gary174

Odd, pretty sure my 2018 mini is using a plug-n-play USB 2.0 webcam.

Just the usual diagnostic questions...

Which webcams are you trying to use?

What version of MacOS did they last work with?

Did they require custom drivers/software? If yes do you still have the install disk?

Have you tried the other USB port?

Have you tried restarting the mini?

Jun 1, 2020 1:27 PM in response to padams35

Both webcams were purchased from Amazon. (1) I have had for 2 years, HD Pro from Stopmotion Explosion https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1XLAZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a new one I just got (that is going back) I have no idea who makes it https://amazon.com/gp/product/B088K88GS9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The HD Pro worked with Catalina 15.15.5 on my 2014 Mac Mini but not not his newer one.

Both of these do not require software

Tried both USB ports and also connected a USB hub and tried that

I have rebooted the system many times

Jun 8, 2020 2:29 PM in response to gary174

Update as of June 8th

The webcam is now recognized and is listed as a USB device under system settings. The microphone (audio) portion of the webcam works in my apps but no video. The webcam is listed as a device in my apps (Zoom, WebEx, etc, but no video. I am using Catalina 10.15.5 on the Mac mini (2018). It works just fine on my Mac mini (2014) using the same OS, Catalina 10.15.5.

Any suggestions?

Jun 9, 2020 7:19 AM in response to gary174

I got an old usbcam by the name macally, facetime only seem to manage to use it's mic

and privacy camera only have the new facebook messenger app as option and it's checked and it works same with phot booth

it's image quality is pretty crummy so not sure if facetime weight it and found it wanting , got an old logitech quiccam ultra vision I can try one of these days it used to work with my old imac that died. if it does not work with mac mini with catalina then maybe it's driver is 32bit or something.

USB 2.0 Webcam on New Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.