Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Merge Word to Outlook on a Mac

I've done all of these steps and checked that outlook is my default email app, but when I go to hit merge to email I get an error pop of that says "Word was unable to mail your document" followed by a pop up once I hit Ok that says "World could not finish merging these documents or inserting this database". I've been able to do mailings before and this just started happening. HELP!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 11:30 AM

17 replies

Jul 15, 2020 6:15 AM in response to kyfo0715

I have this issue also.

Have tried reinstalling office and still the same issue.

Was working for me last week, all of a sudden this appears to no longer work.

"Word was unable to mail your document"

"World could not finish merging these documents or inserting this database".

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-was-unable-to-email-your-document-and-word/d0a239d8-c16e-499a-9582-9d9769851049?rtAction=1594818580701&tm=1594818657491

Jul 23, 2020 10:41 PM in response to ROPD

Same issue as Ricardo described. This is a fundamental issue that is central to my work activities. It is more than disappointing that Office for Mac/Apple can’t get this right. Fortunately, we have great IT support where I work and the issue was temporarily resolved by downgrading to a previous version of the software. Why issue an update that renders such a function unusable?

Jul 27, 2020 1:37 PM in response to iQIAus

I'm having the same exact problem, getting the same error messages, and mail merge sends only the first email to the first recipient in my list. It's been two weeks since this has been happening. All my Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, & Outlook are up to date - Version 16.39) and I'm on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) running MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

I'd LOVE any help getting this resolved, as I use mail merge once a week for a very important group email.

Jul 28, 2020 8:49 AM in response to kyfo0715

I have the exact same issue. It will merge & send to the first person on my distribution list but then I receive the error, "Word was unable to mail your document" followed by a pop up once I hit Ok that says "World could not finish merging these documents or inserting this database". I am running Catalina 10.15.6. This issue started the day after MS Office auto updated to version 16.39. I use mail merge daily and that was the only noticeable change from one day to the next.

Aug 5, 2020 9:41 AM in response to BostonDew

Hi,

I reinstalled the previous version and turned off automatic update and everything was working for a couple of weeks. However, since yesterday, the issue has come back. I rechecked and I'm still using version .38 for outlook, word, and excel. I rebooted the Mac and still the problem persists.

Is this happening to any of you? Have you heard if there's a solution from Microsoft?

This is now going from annoying to right out problematic.

Regards,

Ricardo

Mail Merge Word to Outlook on a Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.