Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac not starting after power outage

Hi all - i had a power outage last week and my imac won't start.

i have tried unplugging for few seconds, pressing the power button for few seconds, checked the fuse in the plug but still won't fire up. I have left it for few days and tried again but still nothing.

There are no noises or lights coming from the machine. Could it be that the power supply inside the machine burned out?

What should i do?

Thanks all.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 2:02 AM

andrei_avadani Said:

"imac not starting after power outage: [...]There are no noises or lights coming from the machine. Could it be that the power supply inside the machine burned out?"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

• Flip the switch on the wall.

• Plug into a new wall outlet

• The circuitry may have become damaged, wherever you are using it. So, try it in a different complex than where you currently are (house, school, work, etc.)

A Few Links for Reference:

Elsewise - I'd conclude:

Yes. It is a damaged device - a new power supply is needed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 2:02 AM in response to andrei_avadani

andrei_avadani Said:

"imac not starting after power outage: [...]There are no noises or lights coming from the machine. Could it be that the power supply inside the machine burned out?"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

• Flip the switch on the wall.

• Plug into a new wall outlet

• The circuitry may have become damaged, wherever you are using it. So, try it in a different complex than where you currently are (house, school, work, etc.)

A Few Links for Reference:

Elsewise - I'd conclude:

Yes. It is a damaged device - a new power supply is needed.

Jun 2, 2020 1:54 PM in response to andrei_avadani

andrei_avadani Said:

"imac not starting after power outage: Thanks. i have tried every option there is and it still doesn't fire up. Should i buy a new power cable before considering a repaid? anyone knows how much will a power supply replacement cost? Not sure if the machine is still in warranty. Thanks"

-------

You are welcome.

Is this Covered?

It is a 2012. So, maybe, if refurbished, and purchased from Apple. Enter your Serial Number at the site. Go Here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Whom to Ask for Cost of Service:

• Apple Coverage:

Yes - I think you should get a new power cable. That mat be an issue. As for fixing it, if would be in warranty, if it were a refurbished machine. But those restrictions may be higher end, being there may be less options for coverage. Elsewise, I'd say take it into a local Apple Store (if one is nearby). Go Here: Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple

• Take to an AASP:

You could contact an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). Click the first link, and enter your full address/city or postal code to see if one is nearby. Go Here: Apple Authorized Service Providers - Apple Authorized Reseller

imac not starting after power outage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.