Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App eating a lot of space on HD

Hi everybody,

I've a Photo Library synchronized on icloud which size is around 200GB

I'm trying to save some albums on the external HD (i tried to make a new library to sync ON the external HD but it really didn't work, like if the library was to big to manage it. It freezed, it had bug, it did not download high resolution pics on it keeping just the previews) and it worked but doing this i ran out of space on my mac hd.

So, i had 50 gb free, i used the standard Photos Library in the Pictures folder and from it i copied the some albums on the external disk and now i've only few gb free.

I deleted and cleaned chaches and temporary files, but nothing changed and in INFO library still weight just 1GB.

Where this free memory went?

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 8:47 AM

...i tried to make a new library to sync ON the external HD but it really didn't work...

Not sure what you did, but if you want to keep your Photos library on an external drive, the drive can’t be networked and it has to be formatted as either APFS, or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the Ignore Ownership option at bottom of the Get Info window for that volume checked.

If you want to try moving it again, follow these instructions carefully.

How to move Photos library to external drive https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 8:47 AM in response to Blicherini

...i tried to make a new library to sync ON the external HD but it really didn't work...

Not sure what you did, but if you want to keep your Photos library on an external drive, the drive can’t be networked and it has to be formatted as either APFS, or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the Ignore Ownership option at bottom of the Get Info window for that volume checked.

If you want to try moving it again, follow these instructions carefully.

How to move Photos library to external drive https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517

Photos App eating a lot of space on HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.