You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID greyed out

My Apple ID on iPhone is greyed out. How do I restore it?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 12:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 6:04 PM

Hi tech5no,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that your Apple ID is greyed out on your iPhone and you'd like to know how to restore access to those settings. I know how important it is to be able to manage your account and related settings on your iPhone; I'd like to help. First, I'd suggest checking to see if you have restrictions enabled on the device that could prevent changes:

• Tap Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy > scroll to Allow Changes, and check to see if Account changes are allowed. If not, enable them and check to see if your Apple ID is no longer grey.

For more information about Screen Time restrictions, check out this resource: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If you don't have restrictions enabled preventing account access, please provide the following details:

Which iOS version is installed on your device?

Have you recently restored from an iTunes or iCloud backup?

Do you see an option for Profiles or Profiles & Device Management in Settings > General? If so, is this a company or school owned device?

Best Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2020 6:04 PM in response to tech5no

Hi tech5no,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that your Apple ID is greyed out on your iPhone and you'd like to know how to restore access to those settings. I know how important it is to be able to manage your account and related settings on your iPhone; I'd like to help. First, I'd suggest checking to see if you have restrictions enabled on the device that could prevent changes:

• Tap Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy > scroll to Allow Changes, and check to see if Account changes are allowed. If not, enable them and check to see if your Apple ID is no longer grey.

For more information about Screen Time restrictions, check out this resource: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If you don't have restrictions enabled preventing account access, please provide the following details:

Which iOS version is installed on your device?

Have you recently restored from an iTunes or iCloud backup?

Do you see an option for Profiles or Profiles & Device Management in Settings > General? If so, is this a company or school owned device?

Best Regards.

Jun 3, 2020 7:49 PM in response to tech5no

If it is not a company or school owned device, do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch         

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device.     

If necessary

Hard reset.        

If there are restrictions in Screen Time that are preventing access, you will need to restore the device to factory settings. Do not restore from a backup made when the Screen Time code was active.

If there aren't any Screen Time restrictions, do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting.      

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.     

Apple ID greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.