Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod Touch - storage space says full, but 34 gigs free

Hi everyone,

I looked into older responses to this question and nothing seems to work.

Anyway, my ipod touch has 128 gb capacity. It's showing 34 gigs left, yet when I got to sync a selection of new songs... it says "you need additional 3 gigs"...

I have deleted all unused apps and files. There's nothing else I can delete... so hopefully someone can suggest a solution that works! Please help out. I've even considered buying a new ipod at this point (even though mine is only 2 years old...) and I'm SHOCKED by the price ($369) So really hoping I can get this figured out.

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 12:36 PM

AKH333 wrote:

Why would this be the case, considering there are 34 gigs of free space?

Because the 6,916 songs that you have selected to be added to your iPod must be a total of 37.31 GB in size. So an additional 3.31 GB is required to synchronise everything that you have selected.

I can see that you've chosen to Sync Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres to your iPod, but in the partial lists of Playlist and Artists that we can see in your screenshot, none of those have been selected. So, re-check what you have selected and make a decision about what to uncheck.

This all suggests that your iTunes Library is larger than can be fitted onto a 128 GB iPod, which is why you are not synchronising your entire library.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 12:36 PM in response to AKH333

AKH333 wrote:

Why would this be the case, considering there are 34 gigs of free space?

Because the 6,916 songs that you have selected to be added to your iPod must be a total of 37.31 GB in size. So an additional 3.31 GB is required to synchronise everything that you have selected.

I can see that you've chosen to Sync Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres to your iPod, but in the partial lists of Playlist and Artists that we can see in your screenshot, none of those have been selected. So, re-check what you have selected and make a decision about what to uncheck.

This all suggests that your iTunes Library is larger than can be fitted onto a 128 GB iPod, which is why you are not synchronising your entire library.

Jun 3, 2020 1:02 PM in response to the fiend

It does raise the question of what Bit Rate and which format you are using when you add music to your iTunes Library. In my Library, 16,111 songs take up 121.62 GB, so why are just 6,196 of yours requiring so much storage?

To find this information, test a few different songs in your Library.

• select a song and click on Edit/Song Info. this will show the Details tab
  • click on the File tab
  • look at the field named kind. Which kind is used for the majority of your music?
  • notice the difference in size of the two versions of the same song, one in wav format (kind) and the other in AAC format. The larger the number, the more storage space is being used for that song
  • look also at the bit rate. The higher the bit rate, the larger the file size will be. An AAC file for example could have a Bit Rate of 128Kbps or 256Kbps

What do you find?

Also, where does the majority of your music come from? Is it from CDs, or online purchases, or somewhere else?

6,196 song in my Library use 53.22 GB.

ipod Touch - storage space says full, but 34 gigs free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.