Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 2 ports not working simultaneously on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Both of my Thunderbolt 2 ports work, but not at the same time.

Main points of interest:

1. They have worked simultaneously in the past (I've had my HDMI and both Thunderbolt ports connected to external monitors all at once -- worked perfectly)
    2. Each one works without the other (Thunderbolt port A works without Thunderbolt port B, vice versa; both work with and without the HDMI being used)

I am using Mini-Display Port cables to connect the Thunderbolt ports to my external monitors.

Things I have tried:

• Updating the OS (I am currently on macOS Catalina v10.15.4)
    • Restarting the system
    • Testing each cable individually to make sure it works
    • Testing each port individually to make sure it works

Has anyone else encountered this before? I would rather not have to get charged by Apple to solve this considering the fact that both ports do in fact work separately. Would be very appreciated to have any help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 3:26 PM

I am assuming that you have tried the three basic troubleshooting techniques as well? If NOT then please do-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the ports issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 3:26 PM in response to pjcougz

I am assuming that you have tried the three basic troubleshooting techniques as well? If NOT then please do-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the ports issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer.

Axel F.

Thunderbolt 2 ports not working simultaneously on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.