Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

weird behaviour of Apple Mail on desktop

On my desktop (MacMini mid 2011, running 10.13.6) I have recently received a couple of emails in Apple Mail from Freecycle.org which actually contain mails from different senders. If I try a reply it opens a new mail with the displayed (wrong) email address. The email contains a lot of text encodings so is not displaying correctly. If I go to my BT mail and sign in, the email appears correctly. Similarly mail on my ipad and Iphone shows the correct message so this only seems to be an issue for my desktop. Neither of the original incoming mail senders are in my address book, nor is the incorrectly displayed sender.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 1:08 PM

Quite curious!

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

8 replies

Jun 9, 2020 1:23 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi

Another example today. Inbox says mail is from Auction House (I regularly get emails from this subscribed mailing list). First section of mail is:

--Apple-Mail=_82D2495D-93AD-4158-8956-A81EA92A6007

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="Apple-Mail=_C6D02598-3B19-452B-9563-05D1B847FB55"

--Apple-Mail=_C6D02598-3B19-452B-9563-05D1B847FB55

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset=utf-8

Message is actually related to a supplier of roofing parts that I have been in contact with. I did not have the computer in safe mode (as this disables a number of features that I need on an everyday basis). Again, if I hit reply it opens up a new mail with the auction house email address. Message appears correctly (ie from correct sender and without any text encoding) on my ipad.

Jun 9, 2020 9:20 AM in response to BDAqua

Not sure I understand your question. The email from sender A appears in an email identified as from a different sender. In all cases so far (4 or 5 occasions - so most emails seem to be OK) the apparent sender is an organisation where I am subscribed to a mailing list (eg change.org; nextdoor.co.uk; auctionhouse.uk.net) not sure if this is significant. I could send you an example but the email exceeds the line limit for posting as much of it is in alphanumeric code. To reiterate, these emails appear from the right sender on my ipad and have no formatting errors or peculiarities.

weird behaviour of Apple Mail on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.