Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfering photos form an old Mac to a new Mac

I have used migration assistant to transfer files from my old Mac book air to my new Mac book pro. The Photos in the Photos app did not transfer. How do I now transfer my photos (as is), with albums and names to my new Mac book Pro? (without using iCloud)

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 9:25 AM

Depending on what versions you are using, can you not just copy the library file from the old machine to the new? It sits in the Pictures folder under your Home folder and by default is called "Photos Library.photoslibrary". If it was stored locally on the old machine, it should contain all the originals, edited copies as well as Folder and Album structure.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 9:25 AM in response to Saud Alkhan

Depending on what versions you are using, can you not just copy the library file from the old machine to the new? It sits in the Pictures folder under your Home folder and by default is called "Photos Library.photoslibrary". If it was stored locally on the old machine, it should contain all the originals, edited copies as well as Folder and Album structure.

Transfering photos form an old Mac to a new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.