Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos (with metadata) from old to new Mac

I have over 9000 photos on my old Mac mini (running on OS X 10.9.5) and cannot sign into my icloud on this machine for love nor money. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro which is up to date. When setting up the macbook i migrated everthing from the Mac mini, however the photos didn't transfer.

I therefore downloaded said photos onto a USB stick from the Mac mini and uploaded onto the Macbook. The problem is that none of the metadata transfered over with the photos and they are currently in a random order.

Is there a better way of transfering my photos on the Mac mini (sorted in the older iphoto app) onto my new laptop with the metadata attached (the data being the key information needed)?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook

Posted on May 23, 2020 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 4:20 AM

Then the correct procedure is to copy the iPhoto Library, as a single unit, from one Mac to the other.

Then open it on the new Mac: Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

This moves everything.

4 replies

May 24, 2020 5:44 AM in response to Kingshill_flyer

if your new Mac has a current system version, it will be Catalina, and iPhoto does not work any longer on that machine.

Prepare your iPhoto library on your old Mac for the migration, get it shipshape while you still have iPhoto.

Here are a few things to consider before you move and migrate the library:

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Photos (with metadata) from old to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.